HP-1 does not perform like other scanners
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HP-1 does not perform like other scanners

HP-1 does not perform like other scanners 16 Apr 2014 01:39 #13658

• BobbyW
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I have 4 scanners operating in office....all 3 of other scanners will pick up broadcasts and the HP-1 just keeps on scanning...by-passing the signals that the others seem to pick up! Just does not seem to be doing the job I expected....was going to retire my old scanners but they seem to give me better service than the HP-1...

Any Help here? Range, squelch, are all set, firmware is up to date....frequencies show when hooked to PC, etc....etc...but I cannot listen to same broadcasts....only stops on occasional station....all scanners are on the basic antennae that they came with....

Frustrated, because some of the scanners that work better came from garage sales and cost a lot less than the HP-1
Last Edit: 16 Apr 2014 01:40 by BobbyW. Reason: spelling error

Re: HP-1 does not perform like other scanners 16 Apr 2014 10:20 #13660

• wm8l
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Retired LEO
I have 2 HP-1's and a new BCD536 which is a little more customization features than the HP-1. I have my HP-1 set up by favorites list, a few avoids and services turned off that I never listen to. One big bottle neck is large statewide trunking systems. For example, here in Ohio you have the statewide MASRCS system and if you run the entire system you could scan numerous ID's and frequencies. In my favorites list I will select only the local ID's and frequencies I want to listen to. If I do location based scanning even with range set low it will still scan the marcs system much longer than other trunking systems.

It doesn't seem like setting the range helps much on these type of trunking systems. When I go mobile and use a GPS on the HP-1 this works great, you will just receive the local thing and the scan goes much quicker. I have driven out west and it is really pretty neat as your driving an interstate highway you will start hearing a county sheriff's office with in a few miles before you see the county line sign on the highway.

As your scanning watch if you have any particular systems that it is spending a much longer time on than others. That is where I normally loose other broadcast.
HP-1,BCD536HP & BCD436HP
73\\\\\\\'S Terry

Re: HP-1 does not perform like other scanners 16 Apr 2014 15:31 #13666

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Is your database up to date?

Menu - advanced - down - version info.

What service types do you have on?

How did you set your location?

Re: HP-1 does not perform like other scanners 17 Apr 2014 00:20 #13672

• BobbyW
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thankyou for your response....

All up to date database, recently logged on
Updated - latest version as of a week ago....HP 1 is couple of months new....
Alerts are whatever is default in data base, but ignoring turned off aircraft
20 mile range, I have varied squelch from min to max, just to see if difference was made, not muc change
all per zip code entered location

I am going to hook up to PC again...to see if there is anything I missed in Sentinel software....

I am not geeky or savy from the technical stand point (that is one reason I chose the HP-1

All thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Re: HP-1 does not perform like other scanners 17 Apr 2014 00:42 #13673

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
What are alerts?? If you mean service types - that's why I asked. Default leaves a lot not selected that you probably need.

I asked for you to check the versions in the HP as MANY do not write to the HP after updating.

Did you verify this?

Turn on all service types except business air, utilities and you should hear a lot more. You can set them in your profile in Sentinel,but for now - just do it in the radio. When you write to it it will get overwritten, so change them in your profile sometime.

If you have 20 mile range set you are probably loading way too much "stuff" that you can't receive anyway and slowing it down.

You should learn to create favorite lists -- then set it the same as your older ones (more or less).

Re: HP-1 does not perform like other scanners 21 Apr 2014 19:43 #13687

• jyams73
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Really, I've found that unless you put your scanner in a vehicle and travel around, let's say from county to county, there is no need to use the "location" feature. I keep my "location" setting to "off" on my "edit profile" settings and then program favorite lists for specific things I want to monitor either scanning one list at a time or a combination of multiple lists. Although the "location" feature is what's called a "rich feature" in terms of settings, when your scanner sits in the same place all the time, it's a setting that really complicates things, IMO. As I said, I keep it "off" and use about 36 favorites lists for my listening preferences. I monitor rural county systems 50+ miles away and never feel like I'm missing anything due to an inadvertent "location" setting be "on". Best practice for me, turn it off for all favorite lists when in my static location. Not speaking for everyone, just my preference.
HP1, PSR-800, Pro-18
Last Edit: 22 Apr 2014 13:48 by jyams73.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds