Not Scanning Local Police
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Not Scanning Local Police

Not Scanning Local Police 22 Dec 2014 20:58 #14716

• KT711
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm having issues with the new scanner not scanning local police/fire. I've updated the firmware and I know that the local police do come thru the scanner since someone I know with HomePatrol can receive the local police. I've compared my unit to his, everything is the same. Went to Radio Shack to see about some help, and the only thing they said was that I would need to pay $15 at radio reference to be able to listen to local police? Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 22 Dec 2014 21:11 #14717

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
You need to provide us with your state, county and city and the system you're trying to listen to in order for us to help you. But here's a few things to try first.

1. Location - make sure you set your location by zip code, city name, latitude/longitude or auto-locate.

2. Make sure Atten is off (greyed out)

3. Make sure you enable the appropriate service types (Law-Dispatch, Law-Talk, Law-Tac, Fire-Dispatch, Fire-Talk, Fire-Tac) etc.

4. Make sure the antenna is securely screwed onto the SMA connector and is facing upright in a clear location where the radio signals can get to it from their transmitters. This may require an external, outdoor antenna if you're in a cellar, basement or metal shielded building or behind hills which shield you from the radio transmitters etc.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 22 Dec 2014 21:17 #14718

• KT711
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
My location is Kentucky, Daviess County, Owensboro.

I did program with my zip code. I have no difficulty receiving State Police, County, Ambulance, etc. Only the City Police and Fire. I have made sure that the service types you said are all enabled. When you mention Atten is off (greyed out) you are saying on the PC correct? I will have to double check that, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 22 Dec 2014 21:27 #14720

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
The atten is on the top of the HomePatrol's screen. It's the attenuator and will reduce signal strength by 10-20 dB so it should be off for normal reception. It's only used for very strong signals which interfere with the ones you want to pick up.

Owensboro Public Service is a single site P-25 800 MHz digital audio system but the "site" may in actuality be a simulcast multiple-tower system. Either way, you will need a line-of-sight view of their towers to receive it. Try moving the scanner a little or to an upper floor in your house. Also make sure the service types are all enabled for the services you want to receive. Set squelch to level 2.

If you receive analog OK but no digital, it's probably due to multipath reception or other poor signal problems. Unlike analog, digital requires a perfect signal to receive anything. It won't just get hissy or static-filled - you'll hear nothing.

And make sure after you've updated the database in Sentinel that you Write to the scanner.

Another tip is to make sure you Read from scanner at least once in a while to keep Sentinel in sync with the scanner's settings.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast
Last Edit: 22 Dec 2014 21:28 by st-bob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KT711

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 22 Dec 2014 21:34 #14721

• KT711
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I will check everything out tonight. Thank you so much for your help. The unit was sitting in the lowest level of the house, so let's hope this was the issue.

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 30 Dec 2014 16:53 #14771

• mangeley
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a hp-1 zip code 79373 unit updated to latest software will not pick up local sheriff office show to be in unit . I have a pager on the ems receives all the traffic on it hp-1 never picks it up. need some help
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds