Not Scanning Local Police
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Not Scanning Local Police

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 30 Dec 2014 17:20 #14772

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
You'll get much faster/better help if you include state, county and city in your help requests. Although the scanner uses zip-codes to locate itself, RadioReference.com (where the scanner's database comes from) does not.

Below is what RadioReference.com shows for your county:
Lynn County
Lynn County

Frequency 	Input     	License 	Type 	Tone 	Alpha Tag 	Description 	Mode 	Tag 
155.68500 	154.83000  	KNFM578 	RM	85.4 PL	Lynn Co SO	Lynn Co. Sheriff Primary 	FM 	Law Dispatch 
155.68500 	154.83000  	KNFM578 	RM		Lynn Co SO D	Lynn Co. Sheriff Primary (Digital) 	P25 	Law Dispatch 
155.19750 	154.00250  	WQDH848 	RM		Lynn Co Fire	Lynn Co. Fire/EMS Primary 	FM 	Fire Dispatch 

The Sheriff's main frequency has an 85.4 PL on it but they've also got P25 digital on there too with no listed NAC. If either analog or digital come over the air on 155.685 MHz you should hear them. Same for the Fire/EMS - all analog and you should be hearing them. Are you sure you have the proper service types enabled in the scanner? You need Law Dispatch and Fire Dispatch enabled on the scanner to hear these frequencies.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 07 Jan 2015 00:39 #14817

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I shouldn't have to do all the leg-work. What state, county and system are you trying to receive?
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 04 Feb 2015 02:41 #14962

• coscob
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
im having the same problem.....worked good until about a week ago......do I need to upgrade?

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 04 Feb 2015 12:24 #14964

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Do I need to upgrade? Well, I assume you mean "Do I need to update my database?"

Updating the database is something you need to consider if you use your scanner in an area which has frequent changes to the radio systems you listen to. I generally update mine every month or so but may do it more often if there are changes in the systems I frequently listen to. If I noticed, for example, that the local police had seemed to go quiet, I'd go to RadioReference.com and examine the frequency database for my state and county to see if there had been any changes recently (denoted by the color on the map and frequency list). Knowing when the changes had been made I could then figure out whether the Uniden copy of the database had been updated yet and if I could get the changes yet by updating my Sentinlel database and writing the changes to my HomePatrol or not.

If a change to the RR database has just happened, let's say on a Monday, then I know I would have to wait till NEXT Monday before Uniden's copy was updated and could be downloaded to my copy in Sentinel and written to my HomePatrol.

Of course that depends on user contributions to the RR database. If nobody sends in the changes to the db administrator for your area then it will never be updated in the RR database. All RR data is user-contributed so there must be someone in your area who finds out what changes have been made and volunteers to contribute to the RR database before you scanner can possibly be updated. There is no requirement for anyone to inform RadioReference that their radio system has been updated and what those changes may be. It's all up to us, the scanner user, to find out and keep the database up to date.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 05 Feb 2015 16:52 #14967

• coscob
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
i downloaded homepatrol into my computer......i attached the scanner and hit update...scanner updated.....it says i have the latest update? but still cant hear greenwich police...........Dont know what else i can do to fix this?

Re: Not Scanning Local Police 05 Feb 2015 17:21 #14968

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
No, you updated the computer's copy. Now you have to Write to HomePatrol. (I suggest you Read from HomePatrol at least once first to get the settings into the computer program which is called Sentinel).
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds