HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help

HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help 16 Mar 2017 17:13 #17324

• Captn Mal
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I just received my HP 2 scanner, but when I turned it on it gave me an SD card error message. I downloaded and installed the latest Sentinel software onto my old Toshiba lap top running Windows XP. I tried plugging the HP 2 into the USB port, but Sentinel doesn't see it, it only displays the SD card error. I tried formatting a different SD card and putting it into the HP 2, but still get error message.

I'm a Mac guy. I confess. So now I'm lost.

Help please?

Re: HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help 18 Mar 2017 06:40 #17325

• Jan N
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi! Don't know if this will help, but you should be able to disconnect the power cord, take out one battery, wait for a minute, then put the battery back in, plug in the power cord, and it should work. It works for me anyway. Jan

Re: HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help 21 Mar 2017 13:30 #17326

• Trav
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I am in the same boat. Apple kinda guy since the old Apple II days and know nothing about windows. My HP-1 arrived yesterday, and things appeared to set up, but later on, I ended up with the SD Card error message. I pulled the batteries for over an hour and still have the:
SD Card File Error message and then the scanner shuts down. I don't know what went or what I did wrong.

I don't know if I can buy a new SD card from Uniden or if I need to look at getting an inexpensive Windows laptop, and start learning how to use it. Then there is the question of what is the least expensive Windows Laptop that will work with the scanner and Sentinel software.

One thing that I did see, was when I pulled the battery cells, the SD card was not fully pushed in; alas, I did not notice that when I installed the cells.

Re: HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help 21 Mar 2017 15:35 #17332

• Captn Mal
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I struggled with this for several days trying everything I could find in this forum and on RadioReference.com but nothing seemed to help. I swapped SD cards, tried formatting them in a card reader from my Mac, from my Toshiba lap top, and in a GoPro camera.

Finally I was able to come up with a work around. I installed Sentinel onto my old Toshiba lap top running Windows XP. I plugged in my card reader with SD card and used the "Clear Data" command from the HomePatrol menu.

It seems that these radios are VERY sensitive to how the SD card is formatted. Using the common formatting programs doesn't work. Only the Sentinel formatting works.

Pretty frustrating!

The radio is working fine now.

Re: HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help 26 Mar 2017 02:55 #17341

• Trav
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Heh,
It also seems that these SD cards/scanners are very sensitive to many other things related to power and power disconnects.
One thing I have seen is that once a SD card is 'corrupted' it's corrupted, regardless of what one does in regard to reformatting, Clear All etc. which results in the card 'looking' fixed based on the Windows software/programs used on the card.

As far as I am concerned, it's just sitting there, lurking in the dark and laughing at the user in its corrupted soul; just waiting for the best for it, or worst for the user, to crap out and generate the SD error.
Last Edit: 26 Mar 2017 02:57 by Trav.

Re: HP 2 SD Card Error- Newbie Needs Help 26 Mar 2017 13:45 #17342

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Captn Mal wrote:
I struggled with this for several days trying everything I could find in this forum and on RadioReference.com but nothing seemed to help. I swapped SD cards, tried formatting them in a card reader from my Mac, from my Toshiba lap top, and in a GoPro camera.

There are numerous posts in this forum and others that give very detailed information on how to recover very quickly from a corrupted SD card error. Here is just one of many:

www.homepatrol.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=103&id=15047&Itemid=38#15051

Captn Mal wrote:
It seems that these radios are VERY sensitive to how the SD card is formatted. Using the common formatting programs doesn't work.

That is not the case at all. Even the default formatting parameters in Windows will work in most all cases. In the event that the card has some unusual corrupting factors, this SD card formatting program has been recommended many times in the forums, and by Uniden:

www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Captn Mal wrote:
Only the Sentinel formatting works.

The Sentinel program does not perform any formatting of any kind on the SD card. Just formatting alone, by ANY method, will not allow the Home Patrol to operate. Even a brand new SD card with factory formatting inserted into the Home Patrol will not allow the scanner to boot up or function... you will still get the "SD card error". As has been outlined in many posts, a properly formatted, blank card is only the first step to recovering from the SD card error when just removing the batteries doesn't help.

After the card has been formatted, using the "Clear User Data" function in Sentinel is necessary to install the files on the SD card that will allow the Home Patrol to boot up and operate (similar to installing a new, formatted hard drive on a computer.... the computer will not boot or function until you install an operating system on that hard drive -- no matter what methods you use to format it).

After that has been done, follow the procedures on page 6 of the owner's manual to be sure your firmware and database are up to date. The entire process, from formatting to booting up a working updated scanner, takes less than ten minutes.

After you have written to the scanner from Sentinel to transfer any updates, your custom settings, and your favorites lists (if any), just get a spare formatted card, and use your PC to copy all of the files and folders on your working SD card to the spare one.

In the event of another SD card problem, just remove the card in the scanner and install the spare... you will be up and running in less than a minute.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds