Battery Charge Indicator
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Battery Charge Indicator

Battery Charge Indicator 25 Mar 2017 12:12 #17338

• Trav
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I had been listening to my new HP-1 for a while, and was wondering why the Charge Indicator always showed a full green icon. I had expected the indicator to slowly drop down as the battery charge decreased during use. Suddenly I got a low charge warning and then the charge indicator icon was red in a small portion of the bottom of the battery icon.

Is this how this thing normally works?

Thank you

Re: Battery Charge Indicator 25 Mar 2017 13:16 #17339

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Trav wrote:
I had been listening to my new HP-1 for a while, and was wondering why the Charge Indicator always showed a full green icon. I had expected the indicator to slowly drop down as the battery charge decreased during use. Suddenly I got a low charge warning and then the charge indicator icon was red in a small portion of the bottom of the battery icon.

Is this how this thing normally works?

Thank you

Yes, that is normal for any NiMH battery usage, especially when the cells are charged/discharged in series... as in the HP.

From Uniden (UPMan)

UPMan wrote:

As to detecting the charge condition (either during charge or in use), there is no realistically accurate way to measure this when using NiMH chemistry. Different brands of batteries self-discharge at different rates (which can't be monitored) and NiMH have a nearly flat voltage curve during discharge, so you cannot use the terminal voltage as a proxy for the charge state.

Last Edit: 25 Mar 2017 13:22 by vroderick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trav

Re: Battery Charge Indicator 26 Mar 2017 02:29 #17340

• Trav
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow! Get to learn something new every day!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds