• LBC970
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
HP-2 with Extreme Upgrade
Firmware: 1.05
Sub Firmware: 1.02
Database: 07/09/2017
Sentinel: 2.03

When scanning anything, aircraft, DTRS, CB/FRS I get nothing. In a location where the State Patrol doesn't shut up, I'm surrounded by 4 airports, with major airline routes over the top of my house, and a strong HAM community, I am hearing nothing. This is a relatively new problem. I could listen for days up until about a week ago. Now when I have the scanner running, it picks up nothing. I confirmed this by locking into an FRS frequency, and then keying up, the scanner won't pick up the signal from 10 feet or a block away.

Squelch is set to two bars, attenuation is off, volume is up.

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks.

Re: HP2 Not Recieving 16 Jul 2017 22:53 #17776

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
LBC970 wrote:
HP-2 with Extreme Upgrade
Firmware: 1.05
Sub Firmware: 1.02
Database: 07/09/2017
Sentinel: 2.03

When scanning anything, aircraft, DTRS, CB/FRS I get nothing. In a location where the State Patrol doesn't shut up, I'm surrounded by 4 airports, with major airline routes over the top of my house, and a strong HAM community, I am hearing nothing. This is a relatively new problem. I could listen for days up until about a week ago. Now when I have the scanner running, it picks up nothing. I confirmed this by locking into an FRS frequency, and then keying up, the scanner won't pick up the signal from 10 feet or a block away.

Squelch is set to two bars, attenuation is off, volume is up.

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks.

If you haven't made any changes to programming, it sounds like something may have happened inside the receiver section, maybe a broken antenna connection inside the scanner.

One last thing to try if you have a strong NOAA weather frequency in your area... on the scanner menu, go to the advanced menu, then choose the quick frequency entry. Enter your NOAA frequency there and hit "Accept".

If nothing heard, it probably means a trip to Uniden Repair.

Note: As a very last resort, especially if it went deaf after turning it off and then on again, I would check the SD card for errors. Even if it didn't give any error message about the card, they have been known to cause some very strange symptoms/problems as they are failing.

Hopefully, you have all your data and settings backed up to Sentinel. Re-format the card and then use the "clear user data" process (select "display all drives" to see the SD card) and then write from Sentinel back to the scanner.

If no luck there, try a new card with the format/clear user data process again.

If still no luck.....

repair.uniden.com/

Re: HP2 Not Recieving 17 Jul 2017 12:47 #17777

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I see from your postings on Radio Reference that the reformat/clear user data process got you going again. Glad you didn't have to sent it in for repair!

Re: HP2 Not Recieving 17 Jul 2017 13:01 #17778

• LBC970
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
vroderick wrote:
I see from your postings on Radio Reference that the reformat/clear user data process got you going again. Glad you didn't have to sent it in for repair!

Eventually, yes. What was strange was that I did the complete format and whatnot while the SD card was still in the radio, and that didn't work. I have to remove the SD card, put it in a separate card reader, and then using SDFormatter, wipe the card, and then do the Clear User Data within Sentinel while still in the card reader. Then I put the card back in the HP, and it started working.

Not sure why that worked and not the usual way of doing things, but oh well. I'm glad it's working again. I have heard great things about Uniden's repair service! Ha

Thanks

Re: HP2 Not Recieving 17 Jul 2017 13:31 #17779

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
LBC970 wrote:

Not sure why that worked and not the usual way of doing things, but oh well. I'm glad it's working again. I have heard great things about Uniden's repair service! Ha

Thanks

It's quite possible that just the process of moving the card from one device to another cleaned up the contacts enough to re-establish a good connection.

Anyways..... happy scanning!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds