HPDB Updating Failed
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HPDB Updating Failed

Re:HPDB Updating Failed 12 Feb 2017 01:48 #17228

• Erickat
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a way to download the updates? I can't take my desktop to McDonalds - and I have Hughesnet Gen4 - keep getting timed out trying to update database and firmware = Sentinel 2.03 does not "see" my scanner or sd card

Re: HPDB Updating Failed 12 Feb 2017 12:57 #17233

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
There are a couple of ways to do it, but they all involve getting a PC-compatible running Windows to a location with wired-high-speed Internet feeding their WiFi. If Mcdonald's has wired Internet (low latency) then you can get a cheap Windows laptop just for handling the database updates and either update the database there and then update the scanner at home or do both at the Mcdonald's.

As far as I know, there's no way to obtain the update files except through Sentinel which relies on a distributed database access protocol for communications. As you know, satellite Internet has too much latency to connect to Uniden's database.

I suppose it might be possible to obtain a file from someone else via email (in a zip file for example) and manually load it into your desktop. But this sounds like it could be problematic unless you are an expert at manipulating Windows computers.

As of last week's download (2/5/17) the database for HomePatrol Sentinel is about 78 Megabytes (uncompressed) and around 14.5 Megabytes compressed into a Zip file. That's still too big to send by most email programs so you would have to have a file hosting service where it could be sent by me.

If (and that's a big IF) the file could simply be unZipped into your existing C:\ProgramData\UnidenHomePatrol_Sentinel\Database folder and you'd be good to go - I can't tell you. But it's worth a try. Have you got a drop-box or other data file sharing location you could use? I could try to send you the file via email if you give your addres to me but I think 14 MB might be too large.

Bob - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts)
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: HPDB Updating Failed 13 Feb 2017 14:38 #17234

• Erickat
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks - persistence pays off - I kept trying to connect - and right around midnight, when I suspect many other local Hughesnet folks are not online, I was able to connect - and update both the database and the firmware. Makes me wonder if Hughesnet isn't throttling the regular hours.

Now I have it all set-up & working, as designed. Thanks again.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds