Does Sentinel work with Windows 8?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8?

Re: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8? 26 Jun 2013 00:00 #12036

• WarriorForJesus
  • ( Visitor )
I still think that Win XP is the Rolls Royce of the Windows operating systems. I have not heard good things about OSs beyond that one.

Re: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8? 26 Jun 2013 01:38 #12037

• Iffy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
T'was a sad day I had to leave da XP... 8-(

WarriorForJesus wrote:
I still think that Win XP is the Rolls Royce of the Windows operating systems. I have not heard good things about OSs beyond that one.

Re: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8? 26 Jun 2013 23:25 #12062

• fuzzmanks
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Dave_S_Nice wrote:
I just got my Home Patrol scanner. I tried the procedure as stated by the instructions and I get an error to load .Net Framework 2. I can only find version 4.5 and an update for Windows 8. I tried those and it seems my Windows 8 machine already has .Net Framework 4.5 on it
Bottom line is that I can not get the Sentinel software past the first step.

Although I don't have Windows 8, I seem to recall in my XP days, if you needed an older version of .NET for whatever reason, you need to remove all versions from you computer. Then install lowered numbered version first (and reboot) before installing (one or more) of the higher numbered .NET version.

Re: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8? 29 Jun 2013 13:24 #12100

• Dave_S_Nice
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I connected my HP1 to a laptop with Win7 and it worked fine. Hopefully Uniden will update the software to install properly on Win8 without additional hassle.

Re: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8? 01 Jul 2013 03:17 #12109

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I have a fairly new Desktop running W8. Stunned reading these posts, I quickly hooked up my HP-1 (E) to verify these reported problems. My results were a very normal appearing update to the DB, a check for current firmware, and a read/write to the scanner. Smooth as silk, with all activities appearing to be the same as when using my Vista Ultra, and my W7 laptops.
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: Does Sentinel work with Windows 8? 04 Jul 2013 19:18 #12153

• dfw1417
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
I have Sentinel running on an XP desktop and a ultrabook win 7 lenovo s230u twist with dual boot system. So today for the fun of it I installed Sentinel on the Windows 8 side of the twist s230u!

First I copied the complete contents of the SD card in the HP to a folder in Win 8. Then with the HP disconnected I went to the folder andt the Home Patrol sub folder and RIGHT CLICKED on SETUP and selected Run as Administrator and clicked OK. The installation went flawlessly and Sentinel was installed on the Windows 8 System.

I connected the HP and it showed as a mass storage device and I read from the HP to get my current setup to the Win 8 side Sentinel. Works great.

I also have the Xtreme Upgrade so I disconnected the HP and copied the Vista/Win 7 .inf file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Then I connected the HP and selected Serial Port and Win 8 attempted to install the drivers but they failed since they were not signed. I disconnected the HP from Windows 8. I went to Win 8 Media page clicked on PC Settings then General then in the lower right Advanced Options and clicked Restart when the next screen came up I selected Troubleshooting then Restart. When Win 8 restarted I selected Disable signed driver enforcement and clicked OK to restart. Win 8 restarted I connected the HP selected Serial Port and when Win 8 attempted to install the drivers for the serial port and showed a message I selected INSTALL ANYWAY and the Serial Drivers for the HP were installed sucessfully.

I then went to the Win 8 Device Manager and it showed the HomePatrol-1 as COM5.

Very sucessful day after the deaf HP I had to deal with last night. It seems to be working fine today though.

Hope this helps, so the answer is YES the Sentinel Software IS Windows 8 compatible and will run on Windows 8 without issue.

YMMV.
Wayne.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rwier
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds