computer specification to run Sentinel
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: computer specification to run Sentinel

computer specification to run Sentinel 08 Aug 2014 00:19 #14169

• DaveShaffer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
What are the computer specifications to run the Sentinel software?

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 10 Aug 2014 06:09 #14177

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I have successfully ran the Sentinel Software on:

Windows XP, Windows 7 (was there a 7?), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and I suspect a couple of Windows Versions prior to XP and/or 7 that I can't remember, lol. These were all ran on computers that cost $2000-$5000 new, but I do not remember the exact spec's. They included (at least) 4 laptops, and (at least) 3 desktops. The spec's were, however, close to the best available at those price points, at the time of purchase.
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 10 Aug 2014 12:04 #14179

• DaveShaffer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
The reason I ask, I was able to load the software onto a Dell GX280 running XP (.5G ram) and it didn't run very well at all. I ended up taking the HP to the local Radio Shack where they downloaded the current database and updates for me. The Dell hadn't been used in years, literally, but I had hoped maybe it would be OK for the purpose. Options now would be to use the computer at the office or maybe get a windows laptop that would suffice for just the Sentinel functions. I'm up and running now without a Sentinel machine here at home, which isn't ideal, but is OK for now. Thanks!

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 10 Aug 2014 12:38 #14181

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
There's no reason a P4 800 MHz computer like the Dell you mentioned shouldn't run Sentinel. It doesn't require huge processing speed to run but you may be having many other problems with that older PC such as viruses and worms or corrupted and bloated registry etc. that can cause it not to run.

I suggest that if you want to keep using that PC for certain stuff like this, rebuild it from the ground up with the original OS CDs and then let it do all the necessary updates (take a couple of days left powered on and connected to the Internet). Install good, modern antivirus software and Sentinel and then see how it runs. I'll bet it works a lot better after you do this. Older machines like this are often so corrupted and bloated with junk that accumulates over the years that they just won't run properly anymore. The only sure-fire way I know of to fix this is to dump the OS and start again from scratch.

Bob - KB1VUA
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 10 Aug 2014 13:37 #14186

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Agree with Bob. I've ran it on a (now) ancient Netbook. One of thos tiny 8" screen machines of a few years ago.

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 10 Aug 2014 14:09 #14187

• DaveShaffer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not really at liberty to rebuild the drive on the old Dell. The actual owner may yet want something from that machine for archival purposes. Not likely, but sure to happen if I rebuild it. I could back up all the data. Or maybe just replace the drive with a new drive. But then if what you suggest is true, I might be further ahead to just snag an older windows laptop, not have much more of an investment, not really change the existing Dell, and have a somewhat more mobile solution to my challenge. This is all really helpful. Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds