computer specification to run Sentinel
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: computer specification to run Sentinel

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 11 Aug 2014 03:12 #14188

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Just curious. I copied/pasted this from your last post: (.5G ram). Does the text in the parentheses indicate FIVE G Ram or could it indicate HALF G Ram? If it is the HALF, that is probably the source of all your problems.
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 11 Aug 2014 12:14 #14191

• DaveShaffer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
It does indeed indicate .5G (1/2 gig) of ram.

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 12 Aug 2014 00:21 #14196

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
DaveShaffer wrote:
It does indeed indicate .5G (1/2 gig) of ram.

That list of computers that I posted earlier ran on 4G minimum with several in the 8G - 16G range. That's 8x - 32x the amount of ram you are using. Therefore, I believe my list should be disregarded, as it is not relevant to your question. Much of the software I was using, even on the oldest on that list, were basically non-functional on even older computers with 1G - 2G of Ram.
Used nearly every day:

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 12 Aug 2014 00:44 #14197

• DaveShaffer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
As a matter of fact, I ordered some additional RAM for that machine earlier today. It should bring it up to 4 GB. We'll see if that does the trick. So your advice and comments are all extremely relevant in helping me to consider options with the old Dell. Thanks!

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 14 Aug 2014 23:25 #14218

• DaveShaffer
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow. 4gb of ram makes a huge difference in that machine, and I believe it has resolved the issue I was having with Sentinel, as well, although I haven't fully tested it as yet.

Quick question here, if I may. Remember that I'm posting this as a Mac user, not a Windows guy. I installed the four 1 gb memory boards after removing the original 521mb board. When I initially booted the machine into set up more, it showed the four 1 GB sims. But then when I ran windows and selected My Computer/Properties, it only shows 3gb (well, 2.99 actually). I think this is just the way a 32 bit system recognizes and shows the ram. But I could (very easily!) be wrong. Have I done something wrong?

Regardless, it made a huge difference in the machine.

Thanks for all advice thus far...

-Dave

Re: computer specification to run Sentinel 14 Aug 2014 23:51 #14219

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
DaveShaffer wrote:
Wow. 4gb of ram makes a huge difference in that machine, and I believe it has resolved the issue I was having with Sentinel, as well, although I haven't fully tested it as yet.

Quick question here, if I may. Remember that I'm posting this as a Mac user, not a Windows guy. I installed the four 1 gb memory boards after removing the original 521mb board. When I initially booted the machine into set up more, it showed the four 1 GB sims. But then when I ran windows and selected My Computer/Properties, it only shows 3gb (well, 2.99 actually). I think this is just the way a 32 bit system recognizes and shows the ram. But I could (very easily!) be wrong. Have I done something wrong?

Regardless, it made a huge difference in the machine.

Thanks for all advice thus far...

-Dave

I definitely remember something exactly like that (1 & 3 split) on a couple of Windows machines from a few years back. However, the proof is in the performance. I have no recollection of knowing you were running a Mac. This is my bad, of course. I have ZERO knowledge of anything related to the MACs, and could have easily been guilty of sending you on an expensive wild goose chase. I am unbelievably happy that you are experiencing a benefit.
Used nearly every day:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds