Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system??

Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system?? 20 May 2013 12:23 #11738

• RPhelps
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I am about to purchase the Home patrol unite. My wife and I have ran squad for 24 years, three years ago I had to retire when diagnosed with EOAD, Early On-Set Alzheimers Disease. So now new things are all but impossible for me to do. Like, programming a scanner.

This product will fit the bill. It think. My concern is our county went to a MARCS system. A state wide system. As of right now, we hear the initial tone, then the squads are on MARCS, so after that, we can't get anything. And the Sheriff's Dept. is going to a MARCS system this year as well.

So unless we get a scanner that can pick up the MARCS ban, we are back to square one. I also need a radio that does what this one does, programs itself. We live in a rural community. The main dispatch, the Sheriffs Dept. is only about 8 miles from us. So getting a signal is not a problem, I just need to know if the home patrol will find the MARCS frequency, when I enter my zip code.

My thinking is for the price, this scanner will pick up the MARCS, and just about anything else. But I wanted to be sure before I shelled out about $500.

Thank you in advance for you time and answers.

Re: Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system?? 20 May 2013 12:41 #11740

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Will work out the box OK, you do have the option to create a favorite that will "do better" if you are just using it in obe place.

- where are you, county, in Ohio? I'm in Muskingum FWIW -

Re: Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system?? 20 May 2013 13:09 #11742

• RPhelps
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Coshocton County. Favorites list? I suppose thats not difficult. Is it done automatically, I hope. lol

Our EMS uses the marcs now, the whole Sheriff's Dept. is going to marcs later this year. So this is why I just ordered the home patrol. Thank you for your comments. So, I unbox it, download any new software via my computer, and just put in my zip...sounds easy enough.

Re: Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system?? 20 May 2013 13:11 #11743

• RPhelps
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
And one more question. Is the volume on it aright. Or did you need to purchase an external speaker...

Re: Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system?? 20 May 2013 13:18 #11744

• RPhelps
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, one more question....sigh. Do I need to get the advanced Sentinel upgrade? I believe it's $99.

I don't think so. All we want to do is here the EMS, Sheriffs, Fire, etc. I imagine this will be programmed in when I enter my zip code.

Re: Home Patrol...does it pick up MARCS radio system?? 20 May 2013 13:22 #11745

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
- almost a neighbor. It will do VERY well there. (worked in Coshocton for a few years).

There a xmiter sites at Conesville, Newcastle and close to Coshocton. I saw where the Sheriff may be going to MARCS and they will have more sites.

Volume is fine, could use more for mobile though.

You can downland Sentinel ahead of time. You could even create a favorite list / see what is out there.

Depending on how far you area from a site you might need a better antenna.

The problem with just using the out of the box is it will load a ton of "stuff" you won't want that slows it down. Ohio Turnpike is a good example. It's easy to avoid them, but it takes time.

I could email you a favorite for CO. Then you can load it. It has not been updated for a while.

There are plenty of notes on here on creating a favorite. It's not automatic, but easy. Wait 'till you see the software and someone will point links or walkthru.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds