not picking up channels
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: not picking up channels

not picking up channels 07 Aug 2014 18:00 #14167

• sabre
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I just got this unit and was very excited to use it. I went through the instructions and it located several channels for my area, but only 1 comes across with any traffic. It appears to be constantly scanning through the located channels. It will stop on my local city periodically like something is trying to come across, but it will just be static. I know this department converted to digital in the past year, but I don't know why it won't pick up or why any of the other depts. won't either???

Re: not picking up channels 07 Aug 2014 19:24 #14168

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
sabre wrote:
I just got this unit and was very excited to use it. I went through the instructions and it located several channels for my area, but only 1 comes across with any traffic. It appears to be constantly scanning through the located channels. It will stop on my local city periodically like something is trying to come across, but it will just be static. I know this department converted to digital in the past year, but I don't know why it won't pick up or why any of the other depts. won't either???

Unfortunately, you haven't told us much that we can help you with.

First of all, I assume it's the Home Patrol 1 you just purchased?

And second, we don't have any way of knowing what you are trying to listen to. Can you tell us specifically what you are having problems receiving? State, county, city, and agency/dept?

Can you find it here and post a link to the specific dept. that you are interested in?

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014 19:55 by vroderick.

Re: not picking up channels 09 Aug 2014 21:53 #14175

• sabre
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry....I am new to scanning....Yes, it is a Home Patrol 1 that I just purchased. I chose this unit because it sounded very user-friendly.

I am interested in listening to Boone County in IOWA. The scanner will frequently stop on one of these frequencies but it just comes across as static. The only channel that traffic will come across on is one from state radio out of Des Moines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Or if you have any other questions for me. Like I said, I am new to this!

Here is the link for Boone County frequencies.

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=792

Re: not picking up channels 10 Aug 2014 05:46 #14176

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
sabre wrote:
........., I am interested in listening to Boone County in IOWA. ......................... Or if you have any other questions for me ....................... Here is the link for Boone County frequencies ...... www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=792

Hello to the new owner/user of the HP-1!

1) Do you have the Uniden Sentinel Software installed on your computer?
2) Do you have a/the proper cable that connects your computer to the HP-1?
3) Have you started/opened the Uniden Sentinel Software while your computer is connected to the HP-1?
4) Did the Uniden Sentinel Software recognize your HP-1? (the HP-1 must be turned on)
5) Using Windows Explorer, does your computer recognize your connected HP-1? (the HP-1 must be turned on)

All of the questions I am asking above (when they can ALL be answered YES) are designed to prepare you to (learn to) create Favorite Lists, using the Uniden Sentinel Software, and then load said Favorite Lists into the HP-1, so that you can easily control the exact radio entities that you desire to monitor. I am willing (and able) to (patiently) give you step-by-step instructions (as time permits) concerning this subject.

If however, you are DEAD SET on using the ENTIRE DATABASE to facilitate your monitoring/scanning, and have NO DESIRE to create Favorite Lists, then you should DISREGARD all of my words above, as I am (psychologically) unable to assist anyone with the use of the Entire DataBase. Others on this Forum are not mentally restricted (disturbed) in this manner, and will assist you with the use of the Entire DataBase.

You do own an EXCELLENT scanner, congratulations!!!
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: not picking up channels 10 Aug 2014 12:48 #14182

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Most of the Boone County public service stuff is on a NXDN system which cannot be decoded by the HomePatrol or any other scanner without a discriminator tap and a computer running DSD. NXDN is a proprietary digital system which is not open to use by non-members of the manufacturing group who developed it (mainly Icom and Kenwood). Scanner manufacturers cannot decode it till they pay the owner of the standard for the rights and as of now, they don't sell the rights to anyone else other than their business partners (as far as I know).

Dedicating a computer and hacking into the scanner to receive one system is pretty drastic IMHO. Some stuff just cannot be economically received by scanner owners today. It's only going to get worse in the future as encryption is added to these already difficult to receive systems.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: not picking up channels 12 Aug 2014 04:34 #14199

• sabre
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for that information Bob. I wish I had known that before I purchased the scanner. It sounds like I am out of luck...
I thought since you can listen to that channel online that it would be available on scanner also.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds