HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio.

HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio. 14 Oct 2014 21:41 #14378

• gcopter1
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Looking to hear from HP1 owners who have bought and used either 436/536's and noticed any changes on the quality of audio decoding on P25 systems. What are your impressions? HP1 being "first generation", do the newer models (436/536) offer better audio decoding? What about those of you who have downloaded and used the latest beta firmware, where you are able to sample different decoding settings and compare them with the "out of the box" quality of the newer models? I have downloaded the new beta firmware for the HP1, but, I'm not willing yet to offer a definitive evaluation because I'm waiting on putting up an external antenna to be able to receive the signals better and thus do a better evaluation. So far, I'm inclined in favor of the beta because in my mind, it gives me the ability to change settings and affect quality. But, if you have also bought a 436/536 model, would love to hear from you as to how the audio quality on P25 systems are better/worse than the HP1.

Re: HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio. 22 Oct 2014 01:06 #14401

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
I have found all three to do very well while others have had various results.
Most of it though is really dependent on the signal received. Too much can be as bad as too little when it comes to digital. I use different antenna for different reception based on the system and my location. way too many variables though to cover every situation. even the radio users location and surroundings affect what you hear at your end. Even weather affects reception with digital. I've had good and bad reception on good and bad weather days. One system can work fine one second and the next dead silent.
I set up all three on one antenna using a DLI Inc Multicoupler (16 channel) and after some time I'd say they are all pretty darn close in reception performance although I think the HP1 picks up just a tad more and farther away.
Audio wise I think the only difference is the 436 is a tad more tinny but then it's probably a smaller speaker.
Overall I like all three.

Re: HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio. 05 Nov 2014 05:24 #14466

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
gcopter1 wrote:
Looking to hear from HP1 owners who have bought and used either 436/536's and noticed any changes on the quality of audio decoding on P25 systems.

One of these days, I need to hook up my 436 and HP1 on the same antenna multicoupler and let 'em rip on the same system, and video it for people.

I am about 30 miles away from the system (which is a Motorola Type II system with some analog talkgroups and some P25 talkgroups). My HP1 on a base antenna barely receives the system, and I can only get the analog channels with plenty of static. The 436, with a handheld (portable) antenna, gets full decode on the same system as if it were a pro radio fully affiliated. If I attach it to the antenna the HP1 is on, it sounds even better.

Re: HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio. 05 Nov 2014 05:28 #14467

• gcopter1
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I just might do that. I've already ordered both 436 and 536. My HP1E went on sale on the RR classifieds just today, so if it doesn't get sold before then I'll be in a position to hook all three and, well, the HP1 is going to be sold anyways.

Re: HP1/436/536 comparisons, P25 audio. 06 Nov 2014 20:09 #14476

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
I use a DLI Inc 16 channel Multicoupler on a discone antenna with LMR400 coax. I have the 436, 536, HP1 and HP2 all on the above antenna. All the radios receive very well. The antenna is 65' at the tip. I hear Indy P25 better than most in the city limits hear it.

A recent trip South I took the 436, 536 and HP1 and the drive to TN was amazing with all three units working flawlessly and having no audio issues the entire tip.

Keep in mind, digital systems use less power, and due to this the slightest change in weather will affect reception. Wind and rain, snow all can affect reception good or bad. One time the wind blows the reception could get worse and the next it may be better.
Additionally there are many other factors that affect what you hear. A garbled transmission could be due to where the officer is. A house or building, or tree could affect the transmission you hear.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds