New HP1 User really needs help
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New HP1 User really needs help

New HP1 User really needs help 05 Jan 2015 15:33 #14803

• Chucky1
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi. Frustrated with what should be very easy.

Been having problems interfacing between my unit and Sentinel.....with respects to Reading and Writing.

First I created within the unit a simple Favorite List. Read from HP and it popped into Sentinel just fine.

Second I then appended several new frequencies into the Fav List I created originally in my unit. Hit Write to HP. Got a message asking if I wanted to Copy and Replace. Said yes. Seemed to then process fine. Unplugged USB which caused my unit to turn on to the scan mode. Checked my Fav List in my unit. For some reason my edited changes weren't reflected in my unit.

Third I created a totally new Fav List in Sentinel. Wrote to unit. Unplugged USB. The new List wasn't reflected in my unit.

I have everything set to Monitor and Download = On.

And just a few minutes ago I downloaded the most current DB in RR. Took a few moments to download. I then hit Write to Scanner so as to hopefully also update my unit. Unplugged USB. Went into my unit. The DB version now says 'XX/XX/XXXX' and I keep getting message "Warning.....all channels that are in range have been avoid. Change Service Types, your location, or range and remove some avoids". Hum.

So you can see that something I'm doing in the process is wrong, or something is corrupted. Things shouldn't be this difficult for such an easy process. Please help.

Re: New HP1 User really needs help 06 Jan 2015 21:20 #14813

• spec5
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
  • Pershing Professional
I would like to be able to help but I don't have enough info or you left something out. Did the HP ever work for you? You said the first thing you did was make changes to the favorites on your scanner. Did you ever set up the scanner? Did you set your location? Did you ever download the database first? Did you ever select Service Types? Did you ever go to Manage Favorite Lists and choose what database to monitor? Did you ever try to use Seniinal to make changes and create a Favorite list send that to your scanner? Sorry About asking this but I am not sure what you did. Break out the manual and start from there as most everything you need to do is in there and then try Favorite List changes when it is all working first. Also the frequencies that you need should already be in Sentinal from the RR site.
Pershing Professional

Re: New HP1 User really needs help 09 Jan 2015 00:59 #14834

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
One of the possible reasons your scanner isn't seeing those new channels is that you didn't assign them the correct Service Type when you added them to Sentinel's copy of the favorites list. If you don't change it manually, all new entries are set as Custom1 by default. If it's a police dispatch channel, change it to Law-Dispatch or whatever is appropriate. Alternately, you can turn on the Custom1 service type on the scanner.

Another possibility is that your favorites list has location control turned on and you didn't set the location on the new department or channel you added. You can try turning off Location Control for that favorites list on the scanner.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast
Last Edit: 09 Jan 2015 01:00 by st-bob.

Re: New HP1 User really needs help 09 Jan 2015 10:56 #14837

• Chucky1
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Bob, you just totally answered my question!! I wasn't processing things correctly and your reply completely educated me on the correct procedure! Unfortunately I returned my HP-1, basically thinking something was corrupt on my computer/Sentinel. I've dusted off my BC296D and now am scanning my local area. This scanner works fine, but will soon be outdated for several systems here in Columbus. I'm thinking of going to another handheld later this year. But I did like that HP-1, and now feel kind of bad I returned it, especially since I only paid $ 308.00 from a close out sale at my local Radio Shack. Thanks again Bob. You nailed it. I've printed off your reply in case I get another Uniden which uses Sentinel....like the HP436. Take care, Chuck
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds