homepatrol
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: homepatrol

homepatrol 03 May 2016 00:58 #16627

• sweetguy
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
i went got a new antianna $98.00 outdoors and i was hoping it will take care of the trucker channels where it stops on a channel and all you hear is cracking popping sound but no truckers talking

Re: homepatrol 27 May 2016 10:43 #16657

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I assume you're talking about CB in the 27 MHz range. Those channels are AM and have no tone encoded squelch or other means of quieting them down. You use the squelch to adjust for the amount of background noise present. A bigger antenna just brings in more noise in many cases but one tuned specifically for the CB frequencies will work a bit better than one designed for other frequencies.

That band is very subject to long distance 'skip' and atmospheric noise - especially on AM mode which is what CBs use. The HomePatrol has a very 'wide' front-end and will likely always pick up lots of noise and static on the CB bands. Only solution is to turn up your squelch - and adjust it properly. The amount of squelch you need will vary by time of day and day-to-day as atmospheric conditions change.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: homepatrol 27 May 2016 14:41 #16660

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
What you need to do is find out what is the trucker channel in your area. then lock onto that channel either selecting using the scanner lock on button or lower the squelch to 0. Using the squelch this way will subject you to all kinds of static and noise but you will hear all the background noise which to some is normal. You will also hear any very weak distant traffic.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds