Talkgroup in HP-2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Talkgroup in HP-2

Talkgroup in HP-2 13 May 2016 13:37 #16640

• MississippiPI
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Does anyone know how to program just a new talkgroup into my HP-2?

Thanks
MississippiPI
All over the Great State of Mississippi
Private Investigator/Firefighter

Re: Talkgroup in HP-2 27 May 2016 10:35 #16656

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Copy the system to a new favorites list (in Sentinel) and then edit that favorites list. The new talkgroup can be added and then you would save the favorites list and upload it to the scanner. Enable scanning that favorites list on the HP-2.

Also - if you know of a new talkgroup on a system - please submit it to RadioReference so it can be added to the system.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re: Talkgroup in HP-2 31 May 2016 12:57 #16689

• MississippiPI
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
You might as well been speaking Greek to me as I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm trying to get step by step instructions on how to add talkgroup into one of my favorites. Do you know how to do that? Thanks.

Jimmy
MississippiPI

Re: Talkgroup in HP-2 31 May 2016 13:03 #16690

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. What you ask for is not possible until you learn how to use all the features of HomePatrol Sentinel. If you don't want to expend the effort then you will get nowhere.

Why is the particular talkgroup not already showing up on your scanner? If it's not in the RadioReference database then it needs to be added. I suggest you SUBMIT the information so your area's db administrator can add it to the database. Make sure you submit all the appropriate information including the talkgroup ID, what system it goes with and the description of that talkgroup, its service-type and its range and location if different from the system it's a part of.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA

Re: Talkgroup in HP-2 31 May 2016 13:57 #16691

• MississippiPI
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I appreciate the response. I was given some talkgroups and asked not to submit me to RR or anyone else, I have friends in low places and I was trying to figure out how to just program those into my HP-2--I'm sorry that I'm not able to submit them publically right now, I gave my word.

Jimmy
MississippiPI

Re: Talkgroup in HP-2 31 May 2016 14:16 #16692

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Well the problem is that you can't modify the built-in database. You have to first copy the selected system to a new favorites list and then edit that list to add the new talkgroups.

Sentinel is the software to do it. If you have the Extreme Upgrade to your scanner you could enter them through the scanner's control panel but I assume you don not have that. It's pretty hard anyway. It's much easier and more straightforward to do it in HomePatrol Sentinel on the Windows PC.

First thing you need to do is connect to the HomePatrol via USB and select Mass-Storage mode. This allows the HomePatrol's SD card to appear as a disk drive on your computer and Sentinel to find it.

In HomePatrol Sentinel, READ FROM SCANNER to get everything synchronized between the scanner's current configuration and the copy of those settings on the PC. It wouldn't hurt to update the database at this time too.

Now, open up the USA, <your state>, <your county> and select whether it's a nationwide, statewide or county system. Find that particular system and RIGHT-CLICK on it, select Append Favorites List.

Select New Favorites List and name it appropriately. The favorites list you created will now appear on the left side of Sentinel under Favorites Lists.

Select the new favorites list and click on the "star with pencil" icon at the top. This will open the editor and allow you to select the new favorites list you created and edit it.

You can now open up the system till you get to the department you wish to modify. Use the big green PLUS-SIGN to add a new "channel" to the department. Set the name, the talkgroup ID and the Service Type.

Now go to the top and select File then Save. Close the editor and then WRITE TO SCANNER including your new favorites list.

After "safely removing or ejecting" the scanner, disconnect the USB cable and reboot the scanner.

Wait for the scanner to stop on the system you modified (from the main database) and hit the top line to freeze it. Now, on the right, from the drop-down menu select AVOID, Permanent Avoid on that system so the one from the main database won't be scanned.

Now, from the menu, select the new favorites list under the list to scan selection so you can pick up your new favorites list containing the new talkgroups.

There's more than one way to do this but this is a good way to learn.

Good luck.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
Last Edit: 31 May 2016 14:19 by st-bob.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds