I'm a Mac user and I have some questions.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm a Mac user and I have some questions.

I'm a Mac user and I have some questions. 19 Oct 2010 20:37 #1952

• nitecapt
  • ( Visitor )
I would very much like to get this unit, but I am a Mac user and I can't see buying a PC just to update and program.
So here are my questions....
1. How can I get a definitive answer on whether there will ever be Mac software for the HP?
2. Can I program frequencies I want to listen to through the nit itself or do I need software?
3. If I can program it....(suppose I borrow a friend's PC) can I enter the marine frequencies I would like to monitor?
4. Do I need the software to get updates or is it just a matter of accessing a website through whatever computer I have to update?

I appreciate any information you can give.

Best Regards to all
Ray[/b]

Re:I'm a Mac user and I have some questions. 19 Oct 2010 21:06 #1953

• Neil
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Ray -- I am just a HP user not from Uniden. However, they have said here that they have no Macware in the works although they willicense the specs to a third-party developer if there is any interest. Basically if you have a Home Patrol you really must run their Sentinel software. They update the database frequently and this is the only way to get that database into your HP. Also, Sentinel is used for firmware updates. So if you have a Mac you will have to run Boot Camp, Parallels or VirtualBox to run Windows XP, Vista or 7. It is fairly easy to do but if you don't do it already then Windows OS will be an additional expense.

For programming frequencies, right now there is a third-party app ScanCat Lite which also uses Windows. You can't really program a scan list using just the HP but you can enter individul freqs.

The HP is a great scanner! But if you have a Mac there are going to be a few problems you need to overcome. If you have any questions I (and I am sure others) will try to answer them.
Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010 08:04 by UPMan.

Re:I'm a Mac user and I have some questions. 19 Oct 2010 21:16 #1954

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Tiger Direct has some great deals on refurbs so you could get a nice computer to use for around $167 with Windows on it.

As for updates, both firmware and software require the Sentinel software to work and to update the scanner as well as the software database. The software acts as a browser for the updates and connections are through it.

Re:I'm a Mac user and I have some questions. 20 Oct 2010 16:15 #2020

• Mark_42
  • ( Visitor )
I'm also a Mac user. Fortunately I have Parallels with Vista installed. It required a few extra clicks but it ran flawlessly. The software just checks the firmware and database and updates as needed. Frankly with all the R&D that went into this receiver, not including a Mac or even Linux version of the software is just hard to believe.

Mark

Re:I'm a Mac user and I have some questions. 20 Oct 2010 19:10 #2056

• nitecapt
  • ( Visitor )
Mark,
I try and stay as far away from WinDoze as I can. I tend to be a purist. I suppose my decision is that if I can't get software for the Mac to run this, I'll do without. At some point, a competitor with a greater desire to capture that segment of the market will come out with something that works with a Mac and I'll buy it.

Re:I'm a Mac user and I have some questions. 20 Oct 2010 21:38 #2062

• Mark_42
  • ( Visitor )
You don't want to desecrate your Mac with Microsoft code? Not exactly the best reason to deprive yourself of a really nice piece of technology. I've got both Windows and Ubuntu installed on my Mac. What doesn't kill your Mac makes it stronger. :)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds