encrypted capable scanner plans?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: encrypted capable scanner plans?

encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 20:49 #2139

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
FACT: Nationwide more and more PD systems are being encrypted, and rapidly. Miami-Dade PD will go that way soon. This will prevent the scanning public from knowing what is happening in our communities. And this is not a good thing, especially from a safety standpoint.

In the very near future, according to people I know in the communications business, a majority of the larger PD systems will be encrypted. When encryption costs fall, as they will over time, smaller agencies will encrypt as well and our ability to listen to these communications will disappear.
Some have told me that it is impossible for scanners to monitor these encrypted transmissions ( such as Florida Highway Patrol) and is illegal as well. We are rapidly headed into the encryption era.

Uniden and other manufacturers such as GRE etc. will lose sales on a huge scale and end up going belly up. I believe that a large majority of scanner folks listen primarily to Pd communications, or purchase scanners to be able to listen to Pd in addition to other services. Listening only to the power company, wreckers, railroads etc. gets old quickly for most.

I wonder if Uniden and the other companies have any plans to deal with this issue. And if so, what and when?

Any thoughts on this, especially from the moderator(s)? Please, facts...not conjecture will be appreciated.

Thanks
Last Edit: 21 Oct 2010 20:57 by wb4dyu.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 21:10 #2144

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Not sure where you are getting your information but it's wrong.... Most departments can't afford to add encryption. And the reality is encryption does more harm than good. And, as in the past some departments learned some hard lessons with encryption and ended up dumping it. The truth is sales people lie to officials about encryption in order to make the sale, but, if the taxpayers step up and don't allow departments to go full encryption then they can't.
One place someone fell for line by a salesman who said something like 50% of the criminals in the area were using scanners.... truth is, 1% do....and that doesn't equate to forcing encryption down peoples throats. Salesmen care about one thing, their BONUS for the sale. Depending on where you are and the system it can cost $650 to $2500 per radio/console to add encryption, that can add up fast for most radio systems.

Anyway, get off your duff and start raising a stink as a taxpayer and telling facts to media and city/county council that 100% encryption is not the way to go. Scanner owners help cops for one thing. Aother it's a safety issue, scanner owners know if the police are searching in their neighborhood to lock up the house and not answer the door, or to stay out of cetain areas during incidents and pursuits.
Over a year ago I heard a bank robbery call in a neighboring county. A week later I see a guy not far from my home walking down the street and matchig the guys discription. Police from two towns and the Sheiffs Dept. swarmmed the area and found him. When I went back home he was handcuffed sitting in the back of a car and waiting on a witness to come ID him. It was him, he was wearing the same clothes as the day of the robbery.He still had some of the cash and the gun. He was on his way out of state. Had that first county had encryption I'd have never heard his discription, he'ed have gotten away!
Numerous departments have found encryption to be bad fo mutual aid, same for fire. And on occasion it's bad in your own department as well. One department I remember hearig dumped encryption in the middle of a standoff as it caused communications issues and one officer thought he heard "move in".... in fact he had been told to move back.... he was killed!

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 21:20 #2146

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Last Edit: 22 Oct 2010 00:27 by wb4dyu.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 21:52 #2150

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
Organize! Get the media behind you too, they too have a lot to lose. Sure, they can "rent" a few radios but thats going to cost them a lot of money to do. Or they can buy them, costing even more. But the radios they get will be missing most of the channels.
Somehow advertise, even online and most of all show up at city/county council meetings and make yourselves heard!
One thing the police don't like is when you bring up the fact that going 100% or even 50% encryption makes it look like they have things to hide. In some departments though thats the case. In my years as a dispatcher we went encrypted maybe 5 times a year and then only for a few minutes. I always had to find the crazy button for it because it was used so infrequently! Back then it was actually speech inversion. The only time we really used it was dispatching a rape or going to a couple peoples homes to serve warrants because they had scanners. They were always stupid warrants, $25 or so, but after the one guy tried to kill himself over a $25 warrant we starrted doing those couple houses with encryption on. They never did catch on while I was still there...lol

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 22:36 #2153

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
How about a realty check? You guys are 20 years too late, Congress passed the ECPA Act that made it illegal to manufacturer or use equipment that defeats encryption. And that was a long time ago, in the post 9/11 world the chance of repealing that in Congress is nil.
And whining about it on this forum isn't going to change it.
We are suppsed to be discussing the HP-1, it is not going to have the capability to defeat encryption and neither Uniden or any other scanner company is going to spend any effort to waste their stockholder's funds on the subject.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 23:08 #2154

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
LEP.... where did I say anything about making a scanner that could do anything with encryption? You need to learn to read....

That said I do not whine, I do however fight for MY rights as a taxpayer and it has paid off in the fact that my own county will not use encryption. If any department or officer has sensitive info it is passed on either via cell phone or MDT, and there is very little of either. At one point all police in my county WERE going to go to 100% encryption! It's not going to happen now, thanks to me starting the move that ended it.
And how do you know what Uniden or anyone is going to do about it? You don't know anything about what Uniden is or isn't going to do...... do not assume things.
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds