encrypted capable scanner plans?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: encrypted capable scanner plans?

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 23:28 #2155

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
LEP: Thanks for your reply. Your words do seem a bit, well, .....hostile....... A thank you to John for your comments too.
Last Edit: 21 Oct 2010 23:32 by wb4dyu.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 21 Oct 2010 23:49 #2156

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
John,
(personal note) When I was a cop I never encountered a criminal using a scanner to assist in their criminal acts. I'm sure there were some. And I worked in a BIG metropolitan area that was the scene of the drug wars in So. Fl. Those were the days when there was no trunking, just single output freq. repeaters with a voting system for the remote receivers. easy monitoring.

I believe that these scanner companies have a vested interest in providing good reasons, through PR firms, attorneys etc. to these agencies for not using encryption on at least dispatch channels.They also presumably have resources with which to argue this issue in various locales that most scanner enthusiasts don't.

Just my opinions....

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 22 Oct 2010 00:12 #2157

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
John, in this area the news media are loaned by the PD's, at no charge to the media(only the taxpayers), receive only radios. How the departments know who actually uses these receivers is unknown.

Fighting city hall is much more costly, difficult and time consuming in large metropolitan areas. In this county there 31 municipalities, almost 4 million residents, each city with a mayor, council etc. etc. Twenty eight municipalities use the county radio system and only 3( one of which is encrypted) do not. One can only imagine the time and resources it would take to address this issue before all the entities.
So when the county plans for encryption are realized next year, most PD communication will disappear for scanner folks.
Last Edit: 22 Oct 2010 00:17 by wb4dyu.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 22 Oct 2010 00:19 #2158

• John
  • ( Moderator )
  • Administrator
That means there are plenty of scanner owners who will be "out" and getting them to join in is key, as is getting pettitions signed by the taxpayers who foot the bill! If they realize what it's costing them to go encrypted the taxpayers may just unit to help put a stop to it, especialy when those funds would be better spent elsewhere like schools and libraries etc.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 22 Oct 2010 00:22 #2159

• wb4dyu
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
thanks for your thoughts John.

Re:encrypted capable scanner plans? 22 Oct 2010 04:05 #2162

• wm8l
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Retired LEO
wb4dyu wrote:
John,
(personal note) When I was a cop I never encountered a criminal using a scanner to assist in their criminal acts. I'm sure there were some. And I worked in a BIG metropolitan area that was the scene of the drug wars in So. Fl. Those were the days when there was no trunking, just single output freq. repeaters with a voting system for the remote receivers. easy monitoring.

I believe that these scanner companies have a vested interest in providing good reasons, through PR firms, attorneys etc. to these agencies for not using encryption on at least dispatch channels.They also presumably have resources with which to argue this issue in various locales that most scanner enthusiasts don't.

Just my opinions....

Being a LEO for 20 years I had one encounter of a BG with a scanner used in a crime. Well needless to say he still got caught. I must say they are more of a benefit to all police departments. Hopefully if more departments start choosing to encrypt Uniden and other radio manufactures will work on this issue.

I would love to have had a scanner like the HP-1 in my days as a LEO. I used to listen to all of the surrounding departments while in my cruiser on an old crystal controlled Bearcat scanner. Did the job but not near as efficient.
HP-1,BCD536HP & BCD436HP
73\\\\\\\'S Terry
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds