better antenna for the home patrol
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: better antenna for the home patrol

better antenna for the home patrol 30 Oct 2010 18:10 #2550

• 9mmGuy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
can any knowledgeble person recomment a better antenna for the home patrol. the antenna that comes with the unit is ok, but i think if i had a better antenna i might be able to pull in some more areas and they weould be a little clearer. i'd like to get the state police in nj and im a distance away from the toll roads that the land sharks patrol.
thanks

Re:better antenna for the home patrol 30 Oct 2010 19:08 #2553

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
There is nothing about the HP-1 that is particularly different than any other receiver that covers a wide frequency range. The short answer is:
-what frequency bands do you want to cover?
-I assume you can mount the antena oudoors, how high a tower do you have? (my own is 90 feet)
-use low-loss cable, especially for 800 MHz and above listening.
-use grounding and lightening protection (a direct strike once made a hole in the side of my building..bummer)
-if you use a log-periodic (Create makes 2 models)plan on a rotator to aim the beam in your desired direction.
-if you use an omni-directonal antenna AOR makes a UHF discone that is nice (it costs about the same as the HP-1.
-if you just want an indoor antenna to screww onto the side of the HP-1, it proabaly is not worth the bother. At the moment I have a mag mount "scanner" gain whip with 10 ft of RG58/u and a BNC/SMA adapter at ceiling height in the room and I can't tell the slighest difference between that and the included "rubber duck"

LEP

Re:better antenna for the home patrol 31 Oct 2010 06:15 #2572

• 9mmGuy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
thanks for the answer. it clarified some things for me

Re:better antenna for the home patrol 31 Oct 2010 10:50 #2590

• Neil
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
You can get a very good discone antenna for under a hundred bucks. Here is one that I have had up for about six years now on a cheap chimney mount and, with the HP, reception is fantastic. (I also use it to transmit on various Ham bands). This is from Grove Enterprises but you could certainly shop around -- the link is not to induce you to buy there but show you the type of antenna.

www.grove-ent.com/ANT9.html
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds