Not hearing Local P25 system
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not hearing Local P25 system

Not hearing Local P25 system 11 Dec 2010 09:46 #3590

• K2WJ
  • ( Visitor )
My location is Montgomery County TX 77378. The system I'm having trouble with is TXWARN Project 25.

The HP seems to work well on all other systems, even when traveling around the state but when it comes to my local system at home it's not.

I've been over the RRDB, the FCC ULS DB, and the Sentinel DB and I find many differences.

I can monitor single frequencies on other radios and hear traffic, but on the HP-1, listening to TXWARN Project 25, I only hear occasional transmissions and the audio is garbled and unreadable. This is the system I purchased the HP-1 for.

I think there are tower sites missing from the Montgomery County Simulcast system and there are frequency differences for each site in the RRDB.

What is the definition of "all" in the modulation type column in Sentinal?

I can set the range to 30 miles from 77378 and hear Houston systems just fine.

Is this a complete DB problem or a problem with the HP-1 hearing a P25 system?

TNX

Re:Not hearing Local P25 system 11 Dec 2010 18:34 #3603

• DGG
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Are you sure that the system is not using Encryption? I have a local P25 system that has many transmissions in the open, but often the HP will pause on a channel and I will either hear garbled messages or nothing at all (even though the HP stops scanning). In those instances, it is because (as far as I can tell) the signal has been encrypted.

Have you heard ANY voices in the clear?

Re:Not hearing Local P25 system 12 Dec 2010 08:13 #3607

• K2WJ
  • ( Visitor )
I'm aware that there are encrypted channels but the group I'm listening to is not. I can enter the frequencies for that group manually on other radios and hear transmissions in the clear in NFM mode but I can't scan the group, just one freq at a time. I can even hear those transmissions in the clear over a web feed on shoutcast. I can hear traffic all day long on the web feed but the HP-1 only stops scanning occasionally with garbled audio. Interestingly, if I manual enter the freq. on the HP-1, I get the same result of garbled audio. At first I thought it was simply a case of the HP-1's sensitivity or low signal strength but I've driven it around the county in the car and get the same results. Occasional transmissions and garbled audio.
Thanks for reply.

Re:Not hearing Local P25 system 13 Dec 2010 18:31 #3640

• Docwatson431
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I have had the same problem with a P25 Channel in my area. I can hear the channel fine with my BC996t, but with the Home Patrol it will stop on the channel and I get and 10 seconds of garbled message and than nothing at all. Mean while the BC996t has no problem hearing the transmission. I have also tried changing my location and still have the same problem.

The RRDB is a mess. The last update made things even worst in my area (Northern VT). The data (IE PL tones) reverted to data that is out of date and no longer in use. I have grown tired of sending updates to RR, it seems to take longer and longer for them to make changes. I bucked up and bought the ARC Patrol software that lets you enter your own freq's and geo and alpha tags to work around the RRDB.
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2010 18:35 by Docwatson431.

Re:Not hearing Local P25 system 13 Dec 2010 20:57 #3645

• tech59
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I am having the same problem. Most of the P25 is garbled (the reason I bought the scanner was for the P25). I thought P25 was supposed to be super clear. From reading the last post sounds like I should have bought the BCD996XT. Not happy with the homepatrol up to this point.

Re:Not hearing Local P25 system 14 Dec 2010 11:07 #3662

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
K2WJ wrote:
I can enter the frequencies for that group manually on other radios and hear transmissions in the clear in NFM mode

What's really weird is the fact that this is a pure P25 system with no analog voice.

You should not be hearing anything in NFM mode.

I suspect what you are trying to listen to is encrypted.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds