Question about GPS Units
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question about GPS Units

Question about GPS Units 16 Jan 2011 23:13 #4530

• Docwatson431
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I was going through some old hiking gear today and found my old Garmin GPS III receiver. I put fresh batteries in it and it still works. I checked the Garmin web site and found a serial cable for this unit. My question is will this unit work with my Home Patrol?

If I only had to buy two cables vs another GPS unit I won't have to listen to my wife yell about another gadet,

Re:Question about GPS Units 17 Jan 2011 21:23 #4550

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
If it can be set to output NMEA instead of GRMN (Garmin), the answer is yes. I haven't played with devices as old as the GPS III (just a few months before my time). You probably need a null modem and gender changer, of course - to connect the GPS cable and HP1 cable.

Re:Question about GPS Units 18 Jan 2011 01:28 #4555

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Most Garmin GPS units with serial outputs send data in NMEA 0183 format (or can be set that way through menus) which can be read by almost all devices accepting NMEA data. Garmin doesn't exclusively use a proprietary format like some manufacturers (as far as I can tell) so you shouldn't have a problem as long as your get the right data lines between the GPS and HP-1 and can set it to output NMEA 0183.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds