Disney?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Disney?

Disney? 21 Jan 2011 22:58 #4628

• Neil
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Heading for Walt Disney World next month and am wondering if HP will pick up any of the Parks? I don't see any such frequencies in the db but maybe i am looking wrongly? Anyone do any HP scanning in that area?

Re:Disney? 22 Jan 2011 06:25 #4629

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Many of the Disney properties do not permit a scanner or any handheld transceiver to be brought into the park, they are somewhat 'paranoid' on the subject.

LEP

Re:Disney? 22 Jan 2011 07:30 #4630

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
To answer your question, 99% of the Disney operations are on Nextel and cannot be monitored.

There's some low power simplex stuff but generally you have to be pretty close to listen.

Reedy Creek Fire handles the calls within the Disney area on a P25 trunk system and most comm's are encrypted.

I've never tried taking a scanner into one of the theme parks but have had no problems at any of the other Disney properties.

Re:Disney? 22 Jan 2011 21:02 #4649

• ScanCHS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Neil,

My family has been visiting Disney World multiple times a year since the early 80's, and I've carried amateur handi-talkies and scanners with me every time. I don't bother to carry radios into the parks anymore, because frankly, there's really nothing to hear. Sadly, I've listened to the communications slowly dwindle down over the past few years, and it's really too bad, because it used to be as exciting as listening to any big city. You can still do some monitoring from your room, though. You'll hear activity from areas all around the Disney property, like parts of Orlando, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, and Apopka, to name a few.

I can honestly say that I have never been asked about any radios while at Disney World. A lot of people carry two-way radios for communications between family members, and most Disney employees wouldn't know the difference between an FRS/GMRS or HAM radio and a scanner anyway. Now, where you could get into trouble is on the highways outside of Disney World. Florida is very strict about mobile scanners in vehicles. If you're a licensed HAM radio operator, then you have a free pass, otherwise you could end up getting your HP confiscated by the Florida Highway Patrol.

I haven't actually taken my HP down to Disney World yet, but I'll be very surprised if you don't hear something. If you do decide to take it with you, please let us know how it went when you return. Oh, and have fun at Disney World! :cheer:

ScanCHS
Extra Class amateur | GROL with radar endorsement

Re:Disney? 23 Jan 2011 08:29 #4653

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I've taken Garmin Rhino's into the theme parks and have never had a problem. There's a bag search at the entrance to every park so Security has seen them.

I suspect you could take a scanner or amateur radio into the parks without a problem.

I'll have the Home Patrol with me in March when we visit.

I always take a scanner along. Makes the wait at the airport and lounging pool side much more enjoyable.

Re:Disney? 23 Jan 2011 10:31 #4654

• Neil
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Hey, thanks everyone! I wasn't aware of Florida's restrictions on mobile use so I will be sure to have my FCC ham radio license with me when we go! It sounds like taking the HP into the Parks themselves might not result in much listening. Is it the same (Nextel) over at Universal and at Marineworld? I'm wondering if the HP might be more problem to get in through the security at the gate(s) than a "normal" scanner? It just looks really different froim most handhelds. On the other hand, with its screen, it looks more some sort of mini-tv or even a gps to the uninitiated. Has anyone actually taken a HP through the entrance gates as yet? I'm definitely going to take it with me on the trip in a couple weeks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds