BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1

BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1 25 Jan 2011 19:38 #4680

• MNPatrol
  • ( Visitor )
I currently own a BCD996T, which I use to monitor MN's 800 MHz ARMER system and misc P25 channels across many agencies. I don't mind programming via computer, but find the BCD996T to get time consuming to update. In addition, if I had the HP-1, I would want to be able to add talkgroup IDs & site information that I have, to which RR.com may not have.

In your opinions, would picking up a HP-1 and selling off my BCD996T be a good trade given the info I just provided above?

Finally, if you all could choose between the two (new), which you you pick?

THANKS!:)

Re:BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1 25 Jan 2011 20:35 #4681

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
I've had 1000 channel scanners to program, even with trunking.
I'll take the home patrol over all that work...and when you
travel, you can hook it up to a GPS to have it auto change
all the frequencies! You can update RR database for anything
missing, so what's stopping you?

Re:BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1 26 Jan 2011 00:30 #4683

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmm, tough call. But I don't have that choice as I already have a BCD996XT next to my computer, a 996T with remote head in my vehicle and an HP-1 next to my easy chair.
The market for 'used' scanners is, like used car' not a very good one. The value drops quite a bit the minute you drive off the lot. The 996 (either model) is an excellent scanner. I prefer the XT where I can actually Look at the screen and see the UID and the T model is fine for the car where looking at the screen is not practical and perhaps dangerous. So, perhaps the best bet in your case is keep the 996 for all around use, save for the HP-1 and add to your pleasure when it is possible. The well known features of the HP-1 with the 4 colour screen is a winner. Sure it has a few flaws, I am still hopeful that some of those (such as the lack of delay control) can be patched by a firmware update.

LEP

Re:BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1 27 Jan 2011 01:00 #4693

• Docwatson431
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Don't sell your 996T. If you are listening to digital channels your 996T will do a much better job. The HP is designed for newbies and they have left out some major functions that every scanner should have.

The HP has no priority channels, you will be unable to change delay times, and unable to add your own talk groups without using third party software.

I love my HP and it makes a good addition to my 996T, but I would not want just the HP for scanning without some upgrades.

Re:BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1 27 Jan 2011 17:08 #4696

• just lou
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
GRE has a handheld scanner coming out that might give the HP-1 a run for the money. The GRE PSR-800 EZ Scan:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/4800.html

Re:BCD996T vs. HomePatrol-1 27 Jan 2011 19:22 #4697

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
I looked at the GRE 800 listing, and I disagree. How do you
update the frequencies, if no computer is involved as
the HP has?
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds