Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 15:58 #5370

• Docwatson431
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I have been using Uniden scanners since the first direct entry scanners came about in the 80's. I have never owned a scanner that did not have an adjustable delay time or priority channels.

The fact that the HP is missing an adjustable delay, priority channels, and direct entry from the unit itself is frustrating for users. I should not have to connect my computer using 3rd party software every time I want to add a new freq. The RR data base is getting better, but is still lacking and I have better things to do with my time then send updates only to find the update has not been done or has been done wrong. I should be able to control what I listen to not the RR data base

I don't care what you call it firmware update, glitch fix, or what ever. Uniden needs to fix the HP to make it more user friendly. At $500.00 plus dollars I expect more.

I will keep my HP and as a secondary scanner and have a BCD996XT on the way to fill in the gaps with the HP.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 17:24 #5372

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Considering it took almost 6 months to get a $.99 piece plastic mount produced, still no "official Uniden" GPS, I figure a firmware update is about 2 years out :), and then it will cause multiple errors and no way to roll back.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 18:26 #5373

• 9mmGuy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
this is the moderators reply.....Uniden released lots of information regarding the unit's features months before the unit was available for sale, and everyone who bought the unit knew (or at least should have known) what features were included and what wasn't included.

i dont think anyone is demanding or throwing a tantrum. Years ago I had a old bearcat scanner that was a bear to program. I was so hard to program,i said screw it and threw the scanner in the trash. im stil a sacnner newbie and when I heard there was a programable scanner that self programmed, I jumped on it. I was just what I was looking for and its a dandy scanner. Now that I understand more, I know what to ask for or what would improve a scanner. When I purchased the homepatrol I was less than a novice so I didnt understand how important or desirable some features are and now I do. So its kind of unfair to say everyone knew what features were and were not available. There is a differencve between knowing and understanding.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 21 Mar 2011 09:05 #5379

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
It seems we have some different views of what is a 'glitch' or error. Try as I can, I have not been able to find any Uniden literature, except discussion forums of user complaints, where the fact that the delay resumption was arbitrarly fixed (perhaps at the optimum for the Dallas/Ft Worth systems) and could not be adjusted by the user to satisfy local conditions.

Even a self-styled moderator has suggested prospective purchasers should have known the delay was not adjustable. How should we have known that? I ordred my HP-1 the same day as the Press Release announcing public availability. Can some moderator post a link to any Uniden prior release that explains that unlike any other Uniden scanner, this one does not have the capability of delay adjustment?

Is it too much for Uniden managers to admit that the lack of an adjustable delay was just a poor idea that has not worked out as they thought it would? No Uniden official, to the best of my knowledge has ever commented on these particular complaints nor suggested they have been considered and rejected, nor suggested a work-around, nor made any acnowledgement whatsoever that these complaints exist.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 21 Mar 2011 09:17 #5380

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Uniden is aware that some users miss an adjustable delay.

Uniden personnel will not discuss or comment on whether firmware updates are in development or what features might be present in such updates until such time as an announcement is appropriate.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 21 Mar 2011 09:28 #5381

• larryc43230
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
LEP wrote:
It seems we have some different views of what is a 'glitch' or error. Try as I can, I have not been able to find any Uniden literature, except discussion forums of user complaints, where the fact that the delay resumption was arbitrarly fixed (perhaps at the optimum for the Dallas/Ft Worth systems) and could not be adjusted by the user to satisfy local conditions.

Even a self-styled moderator has suggested prospective purchasers should have known the delay was not adjustable. How should we have known that? I ordred my HP-1 the same day as the Press Release announcing public availability. Can some moderator post a link to any Uniden prior release that explains that unlike any other Uniden scanner, this one does not have the capability of delay adjustment?

Is it too much for Uniden managers to admit that the lack of an adjustable delay was just a poor idea that has not worked out as they thought it would? No Uniden official, to the best of my knowledge has ever commented on these particular complaints nor suggested they have been considered and rejected, nor suggested a work-around, nor made any acnowledgement whatsoever that these complaints exist.

If you were referring to me in the above post, I never pretended to be a moderator, self-styled or otherwise. I was simply stating facts.

Second, I can't remember ever reading a product announcement or specification sheet for any product that lists features the product doesn't include. And I doubt if I ever will. Also, the HP-1 lacks a whole lot of features that other Uniden scanners include. That was by design. It's a whole new approach to scanner technology, so I, for one, never expected to be able to compare it with any other scanners. I took the announcements and product specs at face value, and wasn't disappointed.

I think it would be really neat if Uniden found a way to add an adjustable-delay feature. On the hand, they are not, and never have been, obligated to add any feature that they never claimed it would have.

--Larry
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds