Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 31 Mar 2011 17:18 #5506

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
A light bulb is. by definition, designed to emit light. A scanner, by definition, is designed to scan. Nowhere does it say in the name 'scanner' that is has to have adjustable delay or a super-accurate battery level indicator.

I believe you're forgetting the K.I.S.S. principal. The HP-1 is targeted at the NEW scanner user, not one who grew up with tubes in his radios and electrons in his blood. You're trying to compare the HP-1 to other scanners and that's not really fair. It's a totally new, revolutionary type of simple to use scanner. You want all sorts of Cadillac features just because it's expensive - that's not a good justification. The first DVD players were expensive and did less than today's under $50 models. The first IBM PC was expensive and had less than 1/100th the features, power and storage my 4 year old P-4 desktop has and I only paid a few hundred dollars for it.

Price has nothing to do with features. Ease of use is indirectly proportional to number of features. Complaints from unimpressed HP-1 purchasers are apparently directly proportional to scanner experience with the "old style" scanners of yester-year.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 31 Mar 2011 17:48 #5507

• 9mmGuy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
everyone has some valid points. im a scanner newbie, so i liked the simplicity of setup and ease of listening. Thats why I bought it. it seems to me that even with its simplicity, it would not have hurt to add features that will entice seasoned users to purchase it and utilize the additional features. it could be the best of both worlds with a firmware and/or software upgrade.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 31 Mar 2011 18:30 #5508

• b52hbuff
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
As a software developer, let me asy that having threads about firmware wishlists is better than hearing about 'bricked' devices.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 08 May 2011 18:42 #5817

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Just read in the main website that Uniden is planning
a major FIRMWARE in about two weeks...so enough,
fellas! Let's hope it cures the major gripes.
DUKE, WB9OJD

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 11 May 2011 09:15 #5829

• just lou
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
I wouldn't call a "maintenance firmware update" anything major. If/when they introduce more features, that would be major. :)

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 11 May 2011 17:02 #5831

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Gotta start somewhere. If this works (being first time),
I betcha they'll do more!
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds