Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 19 Mar 2011 23:44 #5355

• Icky
  • ( Visitor )
A warning should be posted to potential buyers of the HP to alert them of the software defects. I would not recommend anyone buying the Home Patrol until Uniden addresses the problems, especially the lack of an adjustable delay. Just because they didn't tell the public about this software glitch is no excuse for ignoring everyone's request to fix it. Can't hide behind the phrase "they never said it had a delay, it' your fault for buying it"

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 09:11 #5360

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
The lack of an adjustable software delay is not a software glitch. It's how Uniden designed the unit.

Everybody has come up with some great suggestions for improving the Home Patrol's operation but none of these are software glitches as far as I can tell.

It would be like buying a car without power windows and then telling everybody your car is defective because it doesn't have that feature.

If an adjustable delay feature is something you can't live without, then I'd suggest sending your scanner back and purchasing something with that feature.

Perhaps Uniden will support an adjustable delay at some point but generally, companies do not release that information ahead of time.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 10:18 #5362

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Every other Uniden scanner can adjust the delay. There is nothing in the Uniden literature about the HP-1 which would lead one to beleive that is was "designed so no adjustmnet of delay is possible." Therefore it *is* fair to say it is a glitch or error. And provision for adjustable delay could be provided in a firmware update but probably not in software alone.

LEP

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 10:26 #5363

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Every other Uniden scanner I own has a section in the Users Manual that describes the Delay function.

Since the Home Patrol manual does not describe that function, I would not expect it to have it.

Since this scanner is like no other scanner Uniden has ever produced, assuming that it includes features based on other Uniden scanners is wrong.

If Uniden did advertise a delay function and it didn't work or wasn't included would certainly be an error.

My truck didn't come with a satellite radio even though most other trucks like it do. I guess I'll call Ford on Monday and tell them they've made an error.

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 14:17 #5364

• KE4ZNR
  • ( Moderator )
  • Uniden Radio Guru
larryc43230 wrote:
Firmware upgrades usually entail bug fixes. I'm not aware of any bug fixes that are currently needed, at least not any major ones.

Regarding additional functionality such as adjustable delay, Uniden never promised this, or any of the other features some are demanding. Uniden released lots of information regarding the unit's features months before the unit was available for sale, and everyone who bought the unit knew (or at least should have known) what features were included and what wasn't included.

Lastly, I don't know of too many companies that announce firmware upgrades ahead of their release. I have to presume Uniden will release any new firmware on their own schedule, and we'll be the first to know about it here in the forums.

--Larry

Larry sums it up well. None of the complaints (so far) in this thread
can be labeled as "defects", "glitches" or "bugs". What is being requested are
additional "features". I know Uniden reads these forums and I am sure the additional
features being requested have been noted by Uniden and if they decide to provide
these features (along with others) in a future firmware update you will hear about it here and at Radioreference.com. Just because Uniden decides they can't comment at the present time does not
mean the features being requested have fallen on deaf ears. :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Re:Seems like Uniden is ignoring any firmware upgrade 20 Mar 2011 14:32 #5365

• 9mmGuy
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
whoa did i open a can of worms although debate is a good thing. i would not say there are bugs within the software or firmware. my issue was that since the homepatrol has been out for awhile, it might be nice to address the "wishlist" of options or enhancements that users (both experienced and a novice like me) would like to see added.
just my $0.02 which is relly worth $0.01 with inflation.

Ed
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds