Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade?

Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 19 Jan 2012 04:29 #8699

• plompkite
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I love my HP. I listen to it for about two hours a day when I get home or when I hear sirens.
This radio was marketed to me for it's ease of use when I first bought it. Now they want me to give them another hundred dollars so I can learn how it works? They actually say in the Extreme sales pitch that this update will allow me to learn how it does what it does? Of course I want to know how it works. I'm an amateur who bought a great radio and now I would like to see what goes on behind the curtain.

It would really be cool if I could see the graphs etc on my computer screen.

I don't think I'll buy it.
-Mike

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 19 Jan 2012 04:38 #8701

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
"I love my HP" and this was your first post here? Does not compute????
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 19 Jan 2012 15:37 #8707

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
They actually say in the Extreme sales pitch that this update will allow me to learn how it does what it does?

Not sure where we say that...

Intent is for the Upgrade to appeal to advanced users who want the extreme upgrade features.

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 20 Jan 2012 03:27 #8716

• plompkite
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Like I said, I am a hobbyist and depend on the technology I buy to do a job. This radio works great for me. I'm getting my money out of it.

Now that I've had some time with the radio, Uniden puts out an upgrade that promises me that I can learn to go deeper into the hobby, if you give us $100.

I am now interested in this behind the scenes/how does stuff work idea now that you have an update. Let me see more.

I'm not happy that you want to charge me a "tuition" to use your tools to learn how my hardware works.
-Mike

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 20 Jan 2012 04:56 #8717

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
The Extreme tools don't show how the HP1 works, it shows more (much more) about the Conventional and Trunking radio systems we are monitoring. As an example, the RF power plot lets you set a frequency, then check for best reception location or analyze which of several antennas works best. If you are monitoring a multi site trunked system, using the Trunked System Analyzer -->System Load/Reception Status tool will allow you to see Signal/Quality/Activity on each of the tower sites you are receiving. As a new user, I'd suggest that you do more reading before you spend the $100.00, the tools are intended for advanced users and it pains me to see people complaining that they don't feel the Extreme edition was worth while when the real problem is they didn't have the need for the tool set yet anyway. It kind of reminds me of the Saturday afternoon backyard mechanic who plops down 10 grand for the biggest Craftsman tool set and then doesn't know what the tools are for... :)

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 21 Jan 2012 01:45 #8725

• markab
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Well said OCO. You hit the nail on the head.

Mark
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds