Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade?

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 21 Jan 2012 08:15 #8733

• N1SAX
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
It is just a tool to give you options that introduce you to so much more, and to add to the comment, its like going to a movie on Saturday, and then having all the additional extras like popcorn , with lots of hot and greasy butter, and candy, cold soda and a good time to finish it all off!!! It gives you so much more and things that you will never do with any other equipment ever made!!!!!So have a grand ole time, yabba dabba doo!!!!!
So other than that Mrs. Lincoln, How was the play?
It takes a Long time to Grow an old Friend.
You never get a second chance to make a First impression!

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 21 Jan 2012 14:03 #8734

• plompkite
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I guess I would rather be able to put my hands on the tools, try to learn how they work. I will learn faster if I can look at these tools on my scanner screen.

I enjoy my radio and object to paying another payment on it so I can possibly use it better.

Comparing the cost of a set of $10k handtools to asking for more money to better use a $500 dollar tool I already own is stupid.

You want to spread the hobby right? People like me get a kick out of it.

Someone at work asks me if I read the story in the paper about the fire last night:

"I was listening to it on my scanner. I'm glad they were able to avoid the wreck at 18th and Spruce."

"The paper didn't mention that. You were listening on a radio?"

I won't be buying the upgrade. You win. I'll do some more reading.
-Mike

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 21 Jan 2012 15:20 #8736

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Mike - you don't understand how you might use the Extreme upgrade or what it does, but think it costs too much. The hope was you'd try to read more about it before making the purchase so you wouldn't end up back here or at RR starting another thread about how the upgrade is overpriced and that you never use it... I didn't "win" anything, as a matter of fact just the opposite, but I guess that's all in trying to help somebody........

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 22 Jan 2012 01:43 #8745

• plompkite
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't know what I might do with my $100 upgrade so I should just buy it?

I certainly wouldn't clog up your forums with complaints about a tool I paid for and can't figure out how to use. I would ask questions and look for help from experienced individuals like yourself.

Now you want my tool to cost more so that I can learn how to use it better.

Radios are a minor hobby to me. I don't spend a lot of time at it. I don't expect to ever master any of my hobbies. I like to put my hand to the work and learn along the way.

You have further helped me decide to keep my $100 for myself.
Thanks

-Mike

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 22 Jan 2012 03:15 #8747

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Well, it's been interesting ......

Re: Hobbyist user....Extreme upgrade? 22 Jan 2012 13:04 #8749

• nyrxman
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I also hesitated to spend an extra $100 for the upgrade as I am not a techie and felt it would be a waste of my time. But then I got to thinking, I just spent about $500 for one of the most sophisticated scanners on the market and every time I went to the "advanced" screen I saw all those "greyed out" areas and realized this wonderful radio was not "whole."

I went ahead and purchased the extreme upgrade never knowing whether I will "master" the technology it has to offer, but I figure reading the manual and trying to understand what the upgrade has to offer is my next step in my scanning hobby. I may never master it, but at least it gives me something to strive for in the future.

While I am not a programmer, I work with many and I understand the hours of time it takes to offer a product such as the HP-1. As far as the price, maybe once Uniden has competition on this radio the price will drop, but until then, from a business perspective, why should it? The other scenario would be that Uniden drops its price on the radio and starts charging for the upgrades. I hate to be nickel and dimed on anything. I'd rather pay for it upfront and know that it is "all-inclusive." You really can't have it both ways.
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds