GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just.....
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just.....

GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just..... 21 Jan 2012 16:38 #8737

• Elembytes
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Is Uniden ever planning on making a GPS for the HomePatrol and portable scanners ONLY? Why do we have to buy two cables to make the connection to the HP1? Seems to me they'd do everyone a favor by making a GPS with ONE cable and ONE connection instead of having to get gender changers and stuff like that and drive that cost higher for the consumer as well.

Re: GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just..... 22 Jan 2012 14:13 #8752

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I would guess that Uniden is repackaging someone else's mass produced GPS unit and to change the output connector would cost them more since it would be a special run only for Uniden and only for the HP.

Re: GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just..... 23 Jan 2012 06:46 #8765

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Elembytes wrote:
Is Uniden ever planning on making a GPS for the HomePatrol and portable scanners ONLY? Why do we have to buy two cables to make the connection to the HP1? Seems to me they'd do everyone a favor by making a GPS with ONE cable and ONE connection instead of having to get gender changers and stuff like that and drive that cost higher for the consumer as well.

As mentioned, it's probably going to be more expensive to the end user, even though such a GPS would be for more than the HP1 (the x96 models use the same connection for GPS hookup). Also, I don't believe there is power provided down that port, which would be required - the GPS needs power to operate, of course. Even my ham radio equipment that hooks up to GPS units requires a powered GPS except in custom-built equipment which sends voltage down the 9-pin serial port specifically for the GPS or weather station to use.

IMO, the proper way to do this would be for future models of scanners to include a SiRF GPS chipset actually inside the scanner. Yes, it might bring the cost of the scanner up a bit - but I think people would be willing to shell out, say, another $100 above the existing scanner price, for an onboard GPS. (I know some of you won't be willing, but you have to be realistic.) IMO there is no reason that one of these miniscule GPS chipsets can't be put in the scanner - about the only thing I can think of is power drain and perhaps issues with reception of signals with a GPS receiver also in the case, but I'm sure that could be shielded, since telephones already have GPS and other RF in the same chassis without issues.

Re: GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just..... 23 Jan 2012 07:24 #8766

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
[quote="Jay911" post=8765]Elembytes wrote:
........................................ IMO, the proper way to do this would be for future models of scanners to include a SiRF GPS chipset actually inside the scanner. Yes, it might bring the cost of the scanner up a bit - but I think people would be willing to shell out, say, another $100 above the existing scanner price, for an onboard GPS. ..............

Totally agree, I have my plastic card in hand, lol.
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: GPS- why doesn't Uniden make it easy and just..... 23 Jan 2012 18:31 #8771

• kbarnsda
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Someone could make some money, off me anyway, by packaging all the pieces you need, add 20 bucks for their trouble, and 10 bucks for shipping and have a complete.....solution ( I hate that word ). I am surprised that Uniden did not do this.
I figured that they had a "solution" in beta and just had not worked out all the details.

I hate jerry rigged crap... whether it is or not...... I was hoping someone would come up with a usb plugin
device. I have already spent 600... what's another $150 or so.

So for now, I just get a list of zip codes for a proposed trip and post it to the back of the GPS.
Last Edit: 23 Jan 2012 18:34 by kbarnsda.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds