GPS Hook Up
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: GPS Hook Up

GPS Hook Up 29 Jan 2012 04:19 #8814

• vincent99
  • ( Visitor )
I would like to hook up my Home Patrol to my Garmin GPS in my car. I have the cable ordered from Uniden for GPS hook up. I noticed you need a serial output on the GPS. Mine has a USB as do most GPS units these days. There is a cable I can buy that will convert a usb cable to a serial cable. Will this allow me to hookup my Home Patrol? Not sure why a new product like Home Patrol would use a serial connection to a GPS. Most devices do not use this type of connection now,

Re: GPS Hook Up 29 Jan 2012 15:03 #8816

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
You need to check your GPS specifications to see whether it offers NMEA data on that USB line.

Most GPS' these days are not made to interface with other equipment and lack that mode.

This includes the GPS units that most people are buying for their vehicles. A lot do have a USB port but only for upgrading the unit.

Re: GPS Hook Up 29 Jan 2012 22:45 #8817

• vincent99
  • ( Visitor )
I am going to buy the Uniden GPS for $89 I hate having to do this since I own a GPS. However, at least I know it will work.

Re: GPS Hook Up 30 Jan 2012 22:08 #8833

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
That's what I ended doing. I'm not sure you can find anything much cheaper than that.

Re: GPS Hook Up 02 Feb 2012 20:59 #8886

• jziggity
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
What about this GPS?

www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-Waterproof-USB-Receiver/dp/B000PKX2KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328216114&sr=8-1

It's only $30 on Amazon (depending on seller), and it says it is "compatible with most all NMEA compliant third-party software." It also has a magnetic base for mounting on the exterior of a vehicle and is USB powered so no batteries are needed. So now comes the hard part I guess - what kind of cable would one use to get it to physically connect with the HomePatrol? And would such a cable still allow it to be powered via USB? Any ideas?

Re: GPS Hook Up 02 Feb 2012 21:22 #8888

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
They should put a disclaimer that USB is required.

You cannot use that device, as it does not output NMEA compliant signals (the data might be in NMEA format, but it is being output on USB, which is non-standard for NMEA signalling).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds