Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable...

Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable... 29 Feb 2012 16:53 #9116

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
As outlined in Wouffhong's thread, my HP1(E) will hang on the "Warning: Operating On Battery Power" screen if the scanner experiences a momentary power loss while in WX Monitor Standby mode. If the Power loss is greater than about 5 seconds either with or without the power returning, the scanner will be back in WX Monitor Standby mode as it should be. If, however, the power loss is one of those off/on things in less than about 3 seconds, the scanner will hang on the battery operation warning screen and set there until the screen is tapped (while you're asleep?) or the scanner is turned back on. There has been some verification from others that this occurs on their HP1's also.

At 11:06 today, Tampa NOAA weather station KHB-32 sent their weekly test. The cheapo Weatherman Alert triggered just fine. The HP1, which I'd set up to test (hung on the battery warning) did..............nothing.

UPMan - this, to me, seems to be a critical issue - if the HP1 is sold as, among other things, a severe weather monitor able to warn a family of impending severe weather. Can Uniden research this and advise if there is a possible fix?

Re: Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable... 04 Mar 2012 16:25 #9127

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
As spring severe weather is almost on us, it'll be interesting if anyone becomes concerned about this problem. We had high winds in the Tampa area last night- enough to create a quick outage (there's power outages all over this morning, per the local news). Some time around 4:00 AM. NWS issued a warning - both the inexpensive older Weatherman Alert and the HP1 both sounded the alarm, raising me out of a sound sleep. I got up and checked out the HP1, I am really impressed with the display and the fact it records the warning and displays the info on the screen (I haven't seen this documented anyplace, I'll try to get some pics next time - if.....). I reset both radios and went back to bed.

About an hour later the Weatherman Alert's siren (yup - siren) goes off again, but no HP1 sound. I get up and note that the clock on the microwave is flashing - sure sign of a power interruption or more. Checked the HP1, and it's setting on the "battery warning" screen. Apparently one of the power fluctuations was in that three second or less window.

I hope Uniden is looking into this. I understand the "corporate issues" that probably prevent a reply on the forum, but again, I'm concerned that families may be trusting the HP1 to alert them to severe weather when they are sleeping, while it may have gotten hung up due to a power fluctuation....

Re: Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable... 04 Mar 2012 17:22 #9129

• jmanton
  • ( Visitor )
This has my attention also. Living in the Hill Country of Texas, weather can throw some interesting things your way (hail, wind, etc) and when you couple that with the "feature" of regular power "boinks" (very brief power blips), it sounds like this will be a daily problem for me as a new HP-1 owner. I'll be very interested in seeing if there's a work-around or bug-fix for this.

Re: Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable... 04 Mar 2012 18:16 #9130

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
If you get a second, could you perform the test as outline (HP1 in Monitor WX mode, remove power for less than 3 seconds, see if it just hangs on the "battery warning" screen until you tap the screen) and report the results?

Re: Warning! - WX Monitor Mode not reliable... 04 Mar 2012 20:42 #9131

• jmanton
  • ( Visitor )
As soon as I get my unit (2-3 days) I ccertainly will. I've just been reading through the forum, getting a feel for peoples problems and other issues, in the hope that when/if I encounter any of them, I'll know what to try. This one in particular caught my attention since I'd be doing the exact same thing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds