(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Home Patrol housing

Home Patrol housing 04 Apr 2012 17:51 #9324

• Hopper
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Greetings,

I am contemplating the purchase of an HP unit for mobile use, however it MUST be able to be fitted into the center radio console of my GMC Yukon that currently uses a RAM sloped radio console unit. In examining the HP from what LITTLE data there is insofar as schematic or exploded part view diagrams, the first issue is the volume control and power button. To make the unit fit flush in a custom cutout faceplate blank for the console, it would obstruct the volume and power buttons. The unit would have to be recessed to a depth where the antenna connector is concealed behind the faceplate so it would most likely cover the volume and power controls as well. Second, I feel the 2w audio on the internal speaker is insufficient for a somewhat noisy mobile atmosphere. Yes, I can go to an amped remote speaker but would like to keep the whole package together somehow. If not, I can custom cut the faceplate to expose the touchscreen only. However, I have no idea about how the HP circuit board is oriented or how the front bezel to the unit is contoured. It appears there are two screws in the back of the housing but it is impossible to tell how or if the unit can be disassembled and modified to flush mount. In addition without schematics I have no idea how the volume rocker switch is oriented. Is it a simple two pole switch that I can remove and rewire remotely? How about the power? Two pole? Four pole switch?

Has anyone disassembled one of these units or remoted the volume control or power switches?

Re: Home Patrol housing 29 Apr 2012 13:06 #9446

• Kegan36604
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I think you're looking at a tough install. First off, the speaker is very inadequate. An external speaker is a must. Alternatively use an FM transmitter and employ the cars stereo system. That wipes out listening to other audio of course. You'll need to think thru the power up mode and whether you want it run direct to The power block or turn off and on with the ignition. There are pluses and minuses to both. You can control the volume from the touch screen however. You can put that in the win column. Finally, dont forget you'll want to remove it occasionally for database updates, so make it easy to pull in and out.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds