Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1?

Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1? 12 Apr 2012 21:36 #9348

• bchoward123
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi. I just bought a Home Patrol-1 yesterday. I hooked it up to my PC with the USB cord, so I assume I have the most current version of Sentinel. I am not an expert on scanning, although I have used scanners before, but this one appears to be wonderfully easy.
Question: Do you think I would get any benefit out of policescanner411.com or nat-com.org? Any advice or feedback for this newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Re: Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1? 23 Apr 2012 19:55 #9406

• OnMontauk
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
yeah, return it before you open the box

Re: Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1? 23 Apr 2012 22:41 #9409

• TrajoMarx
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Too old to rock 'n roll, too young to die...
What a "mature" response.

Re: Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1? 23 Apr 2012 22:44 #9410

• TrajoMarx
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Too old to rock 'n roll, too young to die...
bchoward123 wrote:

Question: Do you think I would get any benefit out of policescanner411.com or nat-com.org? Any advice or feedback for this newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

It can't hurt lurking at those sites. While I've been monitoring on and off for many years, I never assume I know it all. Far from it.
BTW, I just made the same purchase as you and love the HP.

Traj

Re: Any advice for brand-new owner of Home Patrol-1? 23 Apr 2012 23:02 #9413

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Ignore the disgruntled user OnMontauk first of all.

The RadioReference.com web site is where all the frequencies in the HomePatrol database come from. I'd definitely subscribe there first of all.

Don't assume your HP-1 and its Sentinel software that came preloaded on it are up to date. Open Sentinel and check the version in the Help -> About menu. Current release is 2.02 (Revision 04). Current HomePatrol firmware version is 2.02 and today's database is 04/22/2012 (found on the Menu -> Advanced Menu - Version Information screen).

Make sure first that your Sentinel is up to date. Newest version can be found here -> http://info.uniden.com/HomePatrol then update the unit's firmware and next the database.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast
Last Edit: 23 Apr 2012 23:02 by st-bob.

Re: Advice for new owner of Home Patrol-1 24 Apr 2012 00:12 #9414

• bchoward123
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I am up-to-date with the current version of Sentinel but I know I need to check on that occasionally. Also I am somewhat familiar with RadioReference. I just need to use the radio and get used to it. I live in a pretty quiet town, but it is very interesting to hear what is going on. I don't plan to ever take it in my car but you never know. Thanks again.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds