(1 viewing) (1) Guest
ARC Patrol Discussion Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do Not Like Your Delivery Method

Re:Do Not Like Your Delivery Method 31 Oct 2010 10:44 #2589

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Perhaps you should try reading all the thread and previous posts where the fact that the LINK to download comes by an email has been mentioned several times. The beta is, as of this morning, up to version 0.9, build 6 and as you can tell from the number getting close to a release version (v 1.0). One thing needed is the Manual, since previous Butel ARC programs have very complete manuals I expect that is taking some time/effort. For ARC 996 I had my local print shop bind a manual with a comb ring to lay flat on the desk as it is right at 100 pages with color screen shots illustrating.
After there is a release version, if the owner follows his previous practice, there will likely be a DEMO which is "crippled" and you have to insert the Keys to convert to a full-paid version. By pre-ordering and using the beta you have the advantage not only of a DEMO but of making comments directly to the author while the finishing touches are being added to what will be the released version.
IMHO it is a win-win situation, the programs that have DEMOs already have all their characteristics set, by participating in the Beta you have a unique opportunity.

{as always, your mileage may vary}

LEP

Re:Do Not Like Your Delivery Method 31 Oct 2010 11:01 #2591

• Neil
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Sure I saw the discussion here. But, usually, a letter from a manufacturer rather trumps messages in a Forum. Their original message was confusing in that they LINKED to a page that did not have the software. And, yes, of course I knew then it was coming email. Didn't expect the email to take overnight though! The idea of running a public beta test with no guidelines as to what and how testers will be rewarded is -- I am sorry -- simply silly. What Butel will find is that they attract trolls and the unqualified with, yes, a small segment of actually helpful users. If I was Butel I would ready myself for dozens and dozens of off-topic feature requests, pedantic and useless emails from people who have no idea what they are doing as testers, lawsuit threats from people who regardless of the warnings did not back up their HPs and hard disks, repetitive and completely worthless reports from the most posturing sort of personalities, absolutely wrong information and an overall failure of the beta test process. I have worked beta tests from both sides. It is not impossible that this will work for Butel as a real beta test might. It is just highly unlikely that it will.
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2010 11:02 by Neil.

Re:Do Not Like Your Delivery Method 31 Oct 2010 12:37 #2596

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I expect the delay is in part prompted because Butel is not located in USA but instead in NL, I have no idea where Gommert is at present as he travels internationally. I am sure you have read UPMANs 'sticky' that Uniden is hosting forums for 3rd party software vendors as a service to promote discussion. I have been using Butel software for scanners for a number of years and don't see anything unusual in the practice.
As a long time user of Microsoft products in my personal business and in my employment I often thought we were ALL beta testers! [or even an alpha tester in one case]I notice i.e. 9 beta is now available but I declined the offer and will stick with i.e. 8 for now.

I do note that Butel sold the ARC Patrol as a pre-order of not yet released software and offered the opportunity to download a beta version, with a Warning, if you wanted to start with it now and not wait for the released version which you had pre-ordered. I, like obvisously you, decided not to wait for the released version and to go ahead with the beta.

I am pleased that I did so as the beta has already solved the major problem for me with I had with the Uniden Sentinel.

I hope it works for you too.

LEP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds