ARC Patrol and Australia!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
ARC Patrol Discussion Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: ARC Patrol and Australia!

ARC Patrol and Australia! 23 Apr 2011 22:43 #5722

Howdy
Maybe this has been covered and apologizes in advance.

Would ARC patrol facilitate programming of Australian systems for use in Australia.

As i am keen to import and try one

Cheers
Mike
www.newcastlescan.com
www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=4341

Radios
3x ubc248clts, 2x ubct8,2x ubc780xlts,RS pro-2096,2x ubcd996t, bcd996t, 2x psr-600, ubc9000xlt,3x ubc245xlts,pro2035, ubc330crs icon ic-r2 ubcd396t, psr-800

Re:ARC Patrol and Australia! 24 Apr 2011 06:52 #5723

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I'm pretty sure it would work (with severe limitations) but not all features will be present outside of the US and Canada.

What won't work:

* The search (for your location) by zip code, city and auto-locate will not work since the data for Australia is not saved in the scanner.

* The built-in database will be useless - you will have to use favorites lists instead.

* There will be no use to performing master database updates from Uniden as it only covers the US and Canada.

What will work:

* You will be able to set your location via GPS or manually (latitude/longitude) so the scanner should be able to select or de-select systems via GPS control from your favorites.

* You can create and save favorites up to the maximum size of 1 MB but you must manually filter out those which have no geotag data or provide them with default geotag data.

* You can enable or disable location control but you must still have default geotag data for every entry or the scanner will not pick it up.

Quite frankly, I don't believe it would be a good idea to import a HomePatrol just because it's new and different unless you're fully prepared for all the limitations. The HomePatrol is not the hottest fully featured scanner in Unden's line - just the newest one (with its high early-adopter pricing). Getting one for Australia will not be wise in my opinion since there will be so many severe limitations.

It's your money so do what you want, but in the spirit of full disclosure I feel the limitations to not having an Australian master database are too crippling to this scanner to make it a good choice.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re:ARC Patrol and Australia! 29 Apr 2011 17:36 #5771

• ARC PATROL
  • ( Visitor )
I don't think the limitations are that bad, I use the HP1 in Europe and like it. I love the touchscreen.
ARC PATROL makes it easy to program your own systems. The only serious limitation is the lack of quickkeys to toggle systems on/off. I use a GPS and that works perfect for all the major airports in EU that I monitor while driving.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

Re:ARC Patrol and Australia! 30 Apr 2011 00:31 #5772

• st-bob
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Well I would expect a scanner-software programmer to have it working well. The average Joe, however, may find getting it properly set up to be a daunting task since nothing works like it does in the US/Canada elsewhere in the world.
Bob Peloquin - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts), USA
Scanner/GPS/Ham Radio enthusiast

Re:ARC Patrol and Australia! 30 Apr 2011 02:40 #5774

Thanks for input... I have purchased ARC PATROL (Gommert all your software is awesome!!).... downloaded the uniden Home Sentintel,sent my order to scannermaster.. and is in transit (the Australian dollar is up right now so $550 Australian Dollars including expedited freight! when you consider the UBCD996T was $999 when they came out.... $550 is bargain! just purchased an 8gig SD card as well!

Cheers all
Mike
VK2FADJ
www.newcastlescan.com

live scanner feed on radio reference~

PS I also love the GRE PSR-800!

Re:ARC Patrol and Australia! 30 Apr 2011 06:20 #5775

• ARC PATROL
  • ( Visitor )
st-bob wrote:
Well I would expect a scanner-software programmer to have it working well. The average Joe, however, may find getting it properly set up to be a daunting task since nothing works like it does in the US/Canada elsewhere in the world.

Agreed but OP Mike is not an average Joe and he was looking for feedback about ARC PATROL and the HP-1 and this is how I use the HP1 in Europe.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds