"Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging"
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
BCD436HP

TOPIC: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging"

"Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 15 Apr 2014 23:36 #13657

• N7CAS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Lovin' learnin' this radio, but my old BCD396T would (and does) charge fairly quickly. As for the BCD436HP, it has only indicated "Charge Complete" TWICE in the four weeks I've been using this otherwise lovely radio. Yes, the 2300 mAh batteries out of the box, supplied by Uniden. Yes, the computer is on. Yes, the radio is off. Yes, I tried other USB ports. And this is leaving it to "charge" for, say, two days straight. That's 48 hours, not 16... and it still reads "Normal Charging." That's it. Ever. The charge time is set for 16 hours. Not much use of having a rather expensive handheld scanner if it can't leave the house. Any suggestions?

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 16 Apr 2014 10:55 #13662

• wm8l
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Retired LEO
Not sure about your BCD436 but using the same batteries in HP-1 and of course it is a wall plug in charger, 14 hr setting works fine. Are you using a pc usb port or a wall plug in charger?

I just bought a BCD536HP earlier this week and actually wanted the 436. I was curious about the charging system on it. I think if I still may pick one up, I would probably get an extra set of batteries and use a wall charger.

I have read about all of the features on it and it is very similar to the 536. I am looking forward to Uniden getting the Siren App for Android developed to try on my cell phone. I also got the Buetel ARC536PRO software for it which I like very well. Has a nice virtual mode and makes programming favorites very simple.
HP-1,BCD536HP & BCD436HP
73\\\\\\\'S Terry

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 16 Apr 2014 16:58 #13667

• N7CAS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply! The BCD436HP does not use a wall charger unfortunately. It charges via USB only. Had I known that, despite all its other great tech, I wouldn't have bought it. Hopefully Uniden will correct that soon (...then all will be forgiven). But it seems silly to have to pull the charged batteries from my BCD396T and slap 'em into my 436 if I want to take it with me anywhere.

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 16 Apr 2014 17:57 #13669

• bruceross
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I virtually NEVER pull the batteries from my BCD436HP scanner. When I am using it at home, I have it plugged in to a USB cable which you can power from any USB charger. I have old phone and Apple products and thus a variety of USB chargers which work perfectly, far better and more convenient than carrying around the old wall warts. It doesn't charge the batteries when I have the scanner ON, but it DOES charge the batteries when I turn the scanner OFF and leave it plugged into the USB cable and charger. The scanner asks you if you want to charge the batteries. I have had many scanners that were powered by wall warts and I often never had the correct charger for the job.. The USB cable plus separate charger combination is far more convenient. I even use an old camera USB cable to power my BCD436HP scanner and if you look at your supply of USB cables you will probably fine several that will work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: N7CAS

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 16 Apr 2014 19:04 #13670

• N7CAS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, it shows how out of the current world I am! I had no idea there were USB plug-in chargers! I assumed from the somewhat glitchy manual that charging was to be done via one's computer USB since is how one downloads Sentinel updates. I surmise that's the problem! USB via computer should be fine, sure, but my computer is 10 years old! Thanks for the help into the 21st century... 14 years late, but better late than never.
Last Edit: 16 Apr 2014 19:06 by N7CAS.

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 16 Apr 2014 22:00 #13671

• N7CAS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
In fact, it says specifically right on page 88, the technical specifications portion of the manual, the words that led this ex-Cutting Edge / now-Old Fogey down the wrong path regarding the BCD436HP's power requirements, to wit literally the first three: "Connect to PC..." That's all it says.

Would be nice if it had qualifed that "Connect to PC..." with "or any optional USB charger." That would have saved me, said now-Old Fogey, a lot of grief. But like I said, the manual is poorly done... but that's been the norm for a couple of decades now with most manuals. I've seen worse.

What's odd, though, is since Uniden needs to meet its competition by providing an easy gateway into the hobby for the newbie (and I think the 436/536 will), it would make sense to vet — "to check (something) carefully to make sure it is acceptable," Merriam-Webster — its manuals a hell of a lot better.

Thanks again for the responses here and to Uniden for hosting this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry12
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds