"Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging"
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
BCD436HP

TOPIC: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging"

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 18 Apr 2014 20:51 #13677

• N7CAS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, here's food for thought regarding "any USB charger" unless I'm misreading the warranty; to wit, the warranty information on p. 93 of the manual states: "The warranty is invalid if the Product is (E) used in any conjunction with equipment or parts or as part of any system not manufactured by Uniden." Outside of the "connect to PC" generic instruction, that would seem to imply any USB charger other than one made by Uniden. Since this site is run by Uniden, I'm surprised the site's host did not bring that little detail up.
Last Edit: 18 Apr 2014 20:52 by N7CAS.

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 18 Apr 2014 21:17 #13678

• bruceross
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
LIVE DANGEROUSLY!!

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 29 Apr 2014 21:18 #13719

• RonSter
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't know the scanner well yet but I do know USB very well.

Not all cables or USB ports operate at the same amps. There is a minimum but even on an MacBook one side is more powerful than the other on purpose. Not all cables are able to charge at the same amps so smart USB can throttle down. Some USB are smart USB and provide more power e.g. iPad Air battery charging demands. Anker makes some great smart chargers capable of 40watts and 36 watts distributed across various ports. Some PC provide so little power to USB connections they can be worthless for charging things. When products are created we even discuss the cords used as some are light and thin but unable to maintain the draw for larger battery charging. Therefor we have to account for the added costs of better cables capable of faster charging.

USB1's No Dead Battery provision could limit you to 100mA
USB2 is capable of 500mA
USB3 is capable of 900mA

The cables are not the same though the can be used, but you wont get the power or the data rates. The computer must also have these types of ports. My guess is that the machine you are plugged into is providing the min power for data transfer and not battery charging.
Last Edit: 29 Apr 2014 21:18 by RonSter.

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 30 Apr 2014 11:28 #13724

• wqnd300
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
curious to know what would be recommended settings for charging are. Ive messed around with mine a bit and even when putting the charge time to 2 hours it still says normal charge.

but if its still not charging that well get some extra batteries and a battery charger. ive got one and it analyzes each battery before it charges them.

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 01 May 2014 16:36 #13727

• RonSter
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I just took my new scanner and tried it with a few rechargeable and got the same thing. After 8 hours I took the Chinese batteries and placed them in another charger tester and they show charged - not sure the scanner really tests and reports a "charged" status very well. Oh well a secondary charger will charge and indicate a complete status. I still think the USB charging option is a nice to have.

Re: "Charge Complete?" All I See Is "Normal Charging" 03 May 2014 17:24 #13738

• N7CAS
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Great insight here as usual! It's amazing how simple some solutions are and how frustrating some problems! In my case, it turned out to be the USB. Ancient. And the scanner, yes, wasn't that cooperative. Replacing the factory-supplied batteries, though, didn't help. Sometimes this new heartthrob of mine would charge, and then sometimes nope. Alas, it was the USB port on a decade-old system. With a separate USB charger (also recommended here), it charges up just fine now.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds