GPS function Locks up Scanner and more....
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
BCD436HP
  • Page:

TOPIC: GPS function Locks up Scanner and more....

GPS function Locks up Scanner and more.... 18 Jul 2014 02:37 #14076

• Matteson
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
My BCD436HP works fine when not using the GPS feature. However when I turn on the favorite list I have set up for using the GPS, my scanner will sometimes lock onto a TG that is in range but audio from another TG in the same TRS system but different departments that are not in range start coming through. Some time I will get static like an open squelch and sometimes I will get the noise from the data channel.
I have my scanner set up with a ½ mile range and use multiple rectangles to define the department boundaries. This should give me a mile when traveling between two adjacent departments where I scan both departments. What happens is the scanner stays on the original department and does not change unless I manually press the MENU button then press it again to back out of the MENU. At this point the scanner starts scanning the correct departments.
I have used both GPS data formats (DEG: DD.dddddd & DMS DDD MMSS.ss) with the same results. I have double and triple checked the data I am inputting from earth google and everything looks good. I have also set up multiple manual locations in the scanner and get the same results without the physical GPS receiver.
I have tested the GPS favorite list with all other lists not monitored or read from the SD card. No change
I did get an unable to down load error once just before this all started to happen. The directory Sentinel was trying to use was wrong. I corrected it did a clear user data function and even tried new SD card. The scanner did take the new download on both the new and old card but I started having the above issues. Anyone have any ideas? I have also attached the GPS hpe file.
Thanks
Michael Matteson
Attachments:

Re: GPS function Locks up Scanner and more.... 20 Jul 2014 19:14 #14083

• DaveIN
  • ( Moderator )
This doesn't sound like the GPS is the problem, but you may be experiencing some overload. Have you tried using the attenuation on the trouble systems? Is it always the same System, TGID, or control channel? Also try a different antenna to see if the problem goes away.

Re: GPS function Locks up Scanner and more.... 23 Jul 2014 00:57 #14113

• Matteson
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok I tried everything you suggested and also tried turning on the analog and digital auto gain control. The Scanner still acts the way described earlier. Please note that the scanner locks even when there is no activity on the scanner. The system that seams to have the most trouble is a Motorola smart zone system. The scanner does not have a problem with the same system when not using the location control.

Thanks for your help.
Mike M

Re: GPS function Locks up Scanner and more.... 23 Jul 2014 02:47 #14114

• DaveIN
  • ( Moderator )
OK, AGC only effects the audio portion of the radio. Thank for the reply and information. Can you provide the Radioreference database link to the system you are trying to monitor? Also, is this the Uniden GPS module or some other manufacturer?

Here is the link to the database: www.radioreference.com/apps/db/
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2014 02:49 by DaveIN.

Re: GPS function Locks up Scanner and more.... 23 Jul 2014 12:29 #14116

• Matteson
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
The System is Clermont County Ohio I.D. 6B29. The GPS unit is a Garmin GPS 18X PC.

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1384

Thanks

Re: GPS function Locks up Scanner and more.... 23 Jul 2014 22:08 #14117

• wm8l
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Retired LEO
I haven't had the problem your speaking about but normally I only use the GPS function when I am traveling out of my home area. When I do use the GPS I normally turn off all of my favorites list and use only the full DB. I will then temp avoid the things I don't want to listen to and turn off the services I don't want to hear.

When I am in my home area I turn on the favorites list I want and can see no need for my GPS.

I may try and simulate the problem you have. I do have both the 436 & 536 so I can try both.

It sounds like you may be scanning the ID's in your FL and the full DB is locking on to the ID you have set up.
HP-1,BCD536HP & BCD436HP
73\\\\\\\'S Terry
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2014 22:14 by wm8l.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds