• Page:

TOPIC: Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts

Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts 20 Jan 2015 16:45 #14893

• K8CPA
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Howdy!
newscanner.jpg

please note: I am a complete and utter scanner newbie or Noob! as the young people call it...

This is basically a review for the BC536HP which I have owned for 24 hours now, almost.

1. P25 tends to cut people off. It does not lock on and by the time it does, the trucking system changes frequencies and it has to lock on again. My squelch is set at 02. So, it ain't that. (Update: see #2)

2. Trucking scanner is neat, but! The changing of frequencies in the middle of listening to a transmission is annoying. Add to that the P25's issues with this scanner and it tends to get annoying. (Update: This was because I had the WX scan on..)

3. Lots of unknown TGID's. Here in Michigan we have a thing called the MPSCS and there is a good deal of unknowns on it. Is that a Database thing or what? I think it's either state police or one of the cities; but I have no info.

3. Traditional systems work great! Zero problems at all.

4. Back light works great, contrast is great.

5. One weird database issue: I looked for and wanted to set up a favorite list of all the ham radio repeaters around here. when I wrote that favorite list to the scanner. I shut off all of the other favorite lists and wanted to make sure that one worked and when I did, the scanner said, "nothing to scan.." I ended up removing it. Not sure of that is a database problem or what.

6. Audio drive with an external speaker is fine. I use a Astatic VS10 10 watt speaker and it works fine. Sometimes I gotta turn it down!

7. Some stations are louder than others. I turn one up and another comes along and it is really loud. Dunno if that is a digital thing or what.

8. The F0 and S0 Lines up there. They're not doing anything.. What do I do to make them work?

Anyhow that's all I can think of at the moment. if there is more later, I will let you know.
Amateur Radio Station K8CPA
Lincoln Park, Michigan
Since March 1989
Equipment: Kenwood TS-950SDX - Yaesu VX6R
Antennas: Cobra UltraLite Senior @ 40 ft - Comet CX-333 @40 ft
Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015 16:47 by K8CPA. Reason: wanted to update info.

Re: Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts 20 Jan 2015 17:29 #14894

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
Might want to readdress some of the above, based on the comments/resolution to some of these you've already gone through at RadioReference.

Re: Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts 22 Jan 2015 00:16 #14903

• wm8l
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Retired LEO
Charles, first off you look a lot younger with out your hair and beard. lol looked you up on radio reference.

Did you assign a quick key for your favorites list. If you didn't assign them a quick key number then go to <Set Scan selection> <Select list to monitor>
select your list you want to monitor then go back to scan, if it tells you nothing to scan then while scanning press the quick key you want to listen to and it will take you to quick key navigation then press enter. Back back out by pressing menu key and when you start scanning you should be scanning the FL's you selected.

Sounds like you figured out about the WX jump back also make sure you don't have a priority channel set. That will also cause the same thing.

I have both the 536 and 436 and they do great. I travel to Mount Pleasant, MI 2 or 3 times a year and I run my 536 with a GPS and it works great on MSP and all departments within my GPS location.

I program using Sentinel mostly but do some from the scanner keys just to keep up to speed if I am traveling.
HP-1,BCD536HP & BCD436HP
73\\\\\\\'S Terry

Re: Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts 06 Mar 2015 06:10 #15063

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
How do you set up the GPS system on the 436? I have the Uniden GPS puck but am not sure how to program it to the GPS. Do you set the range to 0? How do you know what the coordinates are and is this necessary?

Re: Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts 06 Mar 2015 11:08 #15067

• wm8l
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Retired LEO
I see you are using the Uniden GPS puck, using the BC436 of course you have to use the adapter cable with a gender changer to hook up the 436 which I assume you all ready have done. The 436 should automatically detect the gps once it is communicating with the satellites and you will see the icon on the display that it is running with the gps.

I turn off all of my favorite list and make sure the full database is enabled. You should not have to make any manual range settings as it will set itself normally to "0" and function by the coordinates assigned in the radio reference database.

I know some that will set up their favorites list with coordinates and use the FL's in a fixed geographical area while running the gps. I only run my gps while on a longer trip and just listen to fire and police services. If you stay in the same area you can use FL's to listen to what you only want to. It is really pretty cool as you are traveling you may start hearing a county sheriff's office and soon see the county jurisdiction line while on an interstate. It has came in handy hearing accidents or traffic problems ahead of you as well.

Hope this helps.
HP-1,BCD536HP & BCD436HP
73\\\\\\\'S Terry

Re: Bearcat BC536HP initial thoughts 06 Mar 2015 16:20 #15071

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for that info. I have plugged it in and have seen the GPS appear at bottom of screen. I couldn't tell the difference in reception. I may have had my favorites on not sure or can remember. Perhaps I will engage full database then. No further adjustments are needed in GPS mode because as I remember there was something in there to enter coordinates at that point I thought it was getting too complicated. I thought you had to set range at 0 but it sounds like you just plug GPS in and it all takes over just make sure you have full database on?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds