BCD536HP
  • Page:

TOPIC: Remote head option

Re: Remote head option 09 Apr 2014 11:10 #13587

• jfoj
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
n1chu wrote:
They wanted two way communications so they could change radio settings remotely. Bluetooth can't do that. But if all you want is the ability to read the display on a larger display such as an iPad, and it will be used in close proximity to the radio, and not make adjustments, then Bluetooth would be a nice wireless option. I see somebody has written code for this but need help understanding why when there is virtual scanner which I use with the Butel software.

Bluetooth can in fact perform 2 way control over the scanner and be bi-directional.

A forum member on Radio Reference has been developing a Bluetooth App for Android that is for the X96/X15 platform and it is in fact bi-directional that remotes the display, allows you to Lock Out channels, Hold and Scan and remotely control the Volume. It is in a pre-release form and I have personally used it and it does in fact allow 2 way control over the scanners it is being developed for.

Apple has a specific security concern and does not usually allow bi-directional Bluetooth activity unless Apple themselves has "approved" the App/Purpose. So most people work around the Apple limitation by using WiFi in an adhoc mode. Also Uniden apparently looked into the possibility of using Bluetooth, however, there was concern that the Bluetooth would cause interference within the scanner.

Just because most Bluetooth Apps are not bi-directional does not mean Bluetooth cannot actually function bi-directional.

Re: Remote head option 01 May 2014 14:27 #13726

• TackerV
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I am in the same boat, The Wi-Fi feature is great. I was going to permanently going to mount this in my truck. I really need a remote head and would also like to be able to use the Wi-Fi at the same time. I set up a communication vehicle and trailer for HAM events and would like to use the Wi-Fi then but the wife yells at me when I take my eyes off the road to look at the scanner so see bought me the remote head that I use for my BCD996XT and mounted it to my dash so now I don't have to take my eyes completely off the road....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds