Antenna upgrade?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Antenna upgrade?

Antenna upgrade? 25 Oct 2013 20:57 #12659

• bamabbc
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys, I'm new here. I would like to upgrade the OEM antenna and am looking for suggestions. I live in Birmingham and use the HP1 at home only. Thoughts? thanks!

Re: Antenna upgrade? 25 Oct 2013 21:59 #12660

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
For what reason? In other words, what services are you trying to receive that you are having trouble with that you feel another antenna might cure the problem? The last time I was in Birmingham I brought my HP-1 with me, simply punched in the zipcode found in the hotel room directory and listened all evening to whatever was received. Since I was unfamiliar with the city, there seemed to be a lot of action to me (I am from a smaller city)

I often carry in my brief case two additional antennas, a "miracle baby" Diamond SRH805 which has an SMA connector so it will screw directly into the side of the HP-1 and a RS 800 MHz rubber duck attached to a BNC rt/angle and a DIamond adaptor. Both have their fans and detractors, Frankly I can't tell the difference between them and the stock Uniden supplied antenna. All 3, IMHOP have negative gain dbd.

Re: Antenna upgrade? 26 Oct 2013 00:05 #12661

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
If you want a new antenna you CAN tell the difference on, get a Diamond SRH-789. IIRC, Universal Radio sells them in their online store. They have a SMA connector, right-angle hinge, and telescoping segments to allow you to "tune" to the frequency range you want. I have them on all my HPs, my 396XT, and have a couple of the BNC versions for my PSR-500 & PSR-800 and SDR dongles.

Re: Antenna upgrade? 26 Oct 2013 15:49 #12664

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Suggest, if you are technically inclined, to build some small dipoles, one for VHF, one for 450 and one for 850.
I did this, then joined each side to a piece of coax cable (75 ohm TV coax works), then encased all in a t-shaped
PCV pipe, 1", then mounted it to a mast outside. Beats any inside set antenna on the market. Normally, with
VHF/UHF frequencies, the higher you can get an outside antenna, the better and more you can hear. I described
this more fully elsewhere in the Antenna section here.
I'm WB9OJD for almost 40 years. DUKE
The following user(s) said Thank You: TacticalTom

Re: Antenna upgrade? 06 Aug 2016 20:01 #16922

What material did you make thise dipoles with?

Re: Antenna upgrade? 07 Aug 2016 21:54 #16925

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Stuff you can pick up in most hardware stores:
1, Maybe a 10' length of 1" PCV pipe
2. 3 end caps for PCV pipe
3, 1 T connector for PCV pipe
4, 1 right angle (90 degree bend) connector
5. Length of 75 Ohm TV coax, long enough to reach your antenna outside and run to your scanner.
6. PCV cement
7. Enough #12 covered electrical wire to make a 150 mHz dipole, a 450 mHz dipole and a 800 mhZ dipole.
8. Soldering iron and solder.
9. 75 ohm connector for coax end inside.
10 An adapter to run your TV connector on the inside of the house to your connector on the Home Patrol. You can get these several places on-line.

1.Measure out 2 quarter wave lengths for each band. I believe the 150 one would be like 18 inches or so (check with the antenna
formula for 1/2 dipole out of ARRL handbook), I lhink the quarter wave for 450 was about 6" or so. I also believe the quarter wave for
800 was 2 1/2 or 3" or so. Anyhow, check the lengths, and cut two of each. All #12 electrical wire
2. Strip off the insulation on one end of all cut pieces.
3. Solder one end of each length together.
4. Split the coax on one end, make a pigtail out of center conductor and ground braid.
5. Attach (solder) one end of the soldered together 1/4 waves to each pigtail: ONE to "hot", other to ground. Secure with electric tape.
6. Measure the overall length to the two three part lengths. Should be about 38 inches or so.
7. Place the T connector so coax come on the "bottom" leg, and each end of the antenna is coming out the parallel legs . Mark hot leg.
8. Cut a piece of 1" PCV big enough to cover each leg of the antenna when mounted into the T connector.
9. On the bottom of the "T" connector where coax comes out, attach a piece of PVC about 12 inches long. This will give you
12 inches of clearance for your antenna when mounted vertically.
10. Place 90 degree connector, so coax aimed "down" towards grounded leg. You want to put "Hot" side UP.
11. Place about a 6-8 inch piece of PCV into the 90 degree connector, so you have something to clamp to a house, or mast.
12. Place end connectors on all three ends. DRILL hole of one for coax to come through for that end.

Mount vertically, "Hot" side up on a vertical surface, such as a wall, mast or tower.

I used this antenna for over 15 years. If you do a little weather sealing, it will last longer.
Try it, you'll be surprised at the results, and it's CHEAP. Probably $15-20 max.
DUKE WB9OJD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds