can't get channels i want
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: can't get channels i want

can't get channels i want 09 Mar 2014 22:11 #13432

• Miller214
  • ( Visitor )
I bought a home patrol new from radio shack because the claimed it is the best but i can not get the police in my town, i get the state patrol from oregon which is 25 miles to the border and who knows how far to the dispatch, i get fire dispatch from another town and random calls from different places but not what i bought the scanner for which is to see what is happening in my neighborhood. i have set the distance to 10 miles, have set the service types to anything that resembles police of fire, what is wrong here? The uniden support for this is almost nonexistent and their website is terrible and radio shack has no idea so i would really appreciate any help i can get, thanks

Re: can't get channels i want 09 Mar 2014 22:38 #13433

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Miller214 wrote:
I bought a home patrol new from radio shack because the claimed it is the best but i can not get the police in my town, i get the state patrol from oregon which is 25 miles to the border and who knows how far to the dispatch, i get fire dispatch from another town and random calls from different places but not what i bought the scanner for which is to see what is happening in my neighborhood. i have set the distance to 10 miles, have set the service types to anything that resembles police of fire, what is wrong here? The uniden support for this is almost nonexistent and their website is terrible and radio shack has no idea so i would really appreciate any help i can get, thanks

For any meaningful help, you will need to provide a lot more info:

Are you using the latest version of the Sentinel Software on your computer? Version 2.02 (revision 04)

Have you updated the database in your unit since you purchased it?

(From the main screen on the Home Patrol, select MENU --> ADVANCED MENU --> scroll down arrow --> VERSION INFORMATION... What does it say there for the date of the database and the firmware version? )

Are you trying to scan the master database, or a favorites list that you have created?

Exactly where you are located:
State, County, town or city, zip code

Exactly what agencies you would like to monitor:

providing a link to those exact agencies on the radioreference.com frequency database would be the best possible way for troubleshooting your situation.

Go here and find the agencies you are interested in, and post a link to them in your reply.

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Last Edit: 09 Mar 2014 22:46 by vroderick.

Re: can't get channels i want 09 Mar 2014 23:23 #13434

• Miller214
  • ( Visitor )
thanks for the quick reply,
i am using version 2.02 revision 04 software,
the database version in this menu is 12/12/2011, i believed that it updated the database when i turned it on, it says loading full database for washington oregon and nationwide when i turn it on, if this is incorrect please tell me how to update the database
I am trying to scan from the master database
Washington State Benton County Kennewick 99336
I would like to monitor the Kennewick police
I see the reference to the Benton County fire and ems on www.radioreference.com/apps/db/ and i do seem to get that and there is a reference to
Law Enforcement
Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
155.37000 RM CSQ Benton PD Police Patch from 800 System FM Law Talk
155.31000 RM CSQ Benton Data Police Data Patch from 800 System FM Law Talk

but nothing for the Kennewick, Pasco, or Richland police dept and nothing comes up on the scanner regarding these departments which are within a few miles of each other but i do get the Oregon State police district 3, i do not know where that is but Oregon border is at least 25 miles from here and i have the distance set for 10 miles
again thanks for the reply
Marc

Re: can't get channels i want 10 Mar 2014 00:52 #13435

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Miller214 wrote:
thanks for the quick reply,
i am using version 2.02 revision 04 software,
the database version in this menu is 12/12/2011, i believed that it updated the database when i turned it on, it says loading full database for washington oregon and nationwide when i turn it on, if this is incorrect please tell me how to update the database
I am trying to scan from the master database
Washington State Benton County Kennewick 99336
I would like to monitor the Kennewick police
I see the reference to the Benton County fire and ems on www.radioreference.com/apps/db/ and i do seem to get that and there is a reference to
Law Enforcement
Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
155.37000 RM CSQ Benton PD Police Patch from 800 System FM Law Talk
155.31000 RM CSQ Benton Data Police Data Patch from 800 System FM Law Talk

but nothing for the Kennewick, Pasco, or Richland police dept and nothing comes up on the scanner regarding these departments which are within a few miles of each other but i do get the Oregon State police district 3, i do not know where that is but Oregon border is at least 25 miles from here and i have the distance set for 10 miles
again thanks for the reply
Marc

Your database is WAY out of date. The current version is 3/02/2014. The database doesn't update automatically, it is a manual process. New updates are available every week, usually on Mondays.

First... you are using the latest Sentinel version, but you didn't mention what firmware version you have, so update your firmware if necessary:

With your Home Patrol connected to your computer (in "Mass Storage" mode if it asks you) and Sentinel running, from the top toolbar on Sentinel click "Update", then click "Update Firmware...".

Follow the instructions. If the firmware is already up to date, it will tell you so.

Then after the firmware is updated, update the database by performing BOTH of the following steps:

First step..... from the top toolbar on Sentinel click "Update", then click "Update Master HPDB". Even if Sentinel says that you have the latest database, you still need to perform the next step in order to transfer it to the Home Patrol.

Second step.... after the Sentinel program on your computer has finished receiving the latest database, from the top tool bar click "Home Patrol", then "Write to Home Patrol" to get the new database from Sentinel into the Home Patrol.

After those steps, everything should be up to date, see if that helps with what you are trying to scan.

Re: can't get channels i want 10 Mar 2014 02:23 #13436

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
You should be seeing this system - once you get it updated, though it looks like even old data would be correct.

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6768

I do not see anything showing an actual Benton PD.

That is also a simulcast system - not impossible, but people have good/bad .
experiences.

Re: can't get channels i want 10 Mar 2014 04:25 #13437

• Miller214
  • ( Visitor )
I had already updated the firmware, i found instructions in the manual but had not updated the database, I now see the Pasco police dispatch that i had not seen before, a neighboring town, after updating the database but nothing for my town, are there departments that block or have systems that are not picked up by these scanners. You have probably guessed that this is my first scanner and i am very disappointed by it so far, the sales pitch for it said that she had customers that could listen to see if an officer was running their plates, i get nothing like this, maybe my expectations were to high. My wife and i live in an area with lots of crime and there times when we would like to know what is going on outside. anyway thanks for the taking the time to help, your instructions were clear and easy to follow. I would like to add that after the database update the Oregon state patrol disappeared, which is alright, so it did change things some.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds