First Time User
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Time User

First Time User 13 Aug 2015 12:24 #15559

• minitrux
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
My County recently switched to the VIPER system making all other scanners obselete. Several people on Facebook recommend I get the HomePatrol 1, which I did. I've had it a week and only hear activity after 8pm. It's way too quite the rest of the time. Why? My other concern is the batteries. If I keep it plugged up while at home, will the batteries overcharge? I've been asked by a local organization to monitor our county''s activity and report it on Facebook for the general public. If I don't hear anything, I can't report it. Others with the organization says there's activity around the clock. What should I do?

Re: First Time User 13 Aug 2015 14:43 #15560

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
minitrux wrote:
My County recently switched to the VIPER system making all other scanners obselete.

If the switch really did make "all other scanners" obsolete, the Home Patrol isn't going to be of much use to you either.

First of all, you'll need to tell us exactly where you are: State (guessing North Carolina), County, and City.

And exactly what agencies you are trying to listen to..... be very specific.

Can you find the agencies you are interested in within this list under the heading of "System Talkgroups"

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7118

minitrux wrote:
Others with the organization says there's activity around the clock. What should I do?

Are you using the master database in the Home Patrol or are you using favorites lists?

Have you updated the database and the firmware in the Home Patrol since you received it?

From the main screen on the Home Patrol, select MENU --> ADVANCED MENU --> scroll down arrow --> VERSION INFORMATION

What does it say there for the date of the database and the version of the firmware?

Last Edit: 13 Aug 2015 14:57 by vroderick.

Re: First Time User 13 Aug 2015 19:36 #15561

• minitrux
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
NC. Mitchell. Bakersville/Spruce Pine
Firmware 2.04; Database 06/16/13; Help 12/07/2011

Re: First Time User 13 Aug 2015 20:03 #15562

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
minitrux wrote:
NC. Mitchell. Bakersville/Spruce Pine
Firmware 2.04; Database 06/16/13; Help 12/07/2011

First - Those appear to be P25 phase 1 with no encryption listed... there are many scanners on the market that will receive those signals, including the HP1.

Second, the database in your Home Patrol is over 2 years out of date! The current database you should be using is 8/09/2015. Updates are released every week.

Update your database, and you should see some improvement. Also, be sure you have enabled all the appropriate Service Types.

Last Edit: 13 Aug 2015 20:04 by vroderick.

Re: First Time User 20 Aug 2015 19:39 #15579

• tpickett
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I update nearly every week. My Firmware Version is 2.05, and Database version is 2/16/2014, but I am updating (?)

Re: First Time User 20 Aug 2015 19:48 #15580

• vroderick
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
tpickett wrote:
I update nearly every week. My Firmware Version is 2.05, and Database version is 2/16/2014, but I am updating (?)

Sounds like you are updating the database in Sentinel, but not in your Home Patrol.

Check for the updating procedure on page 6 of your owners manual. There is one here if you don't have yours...

info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/HomePatrol/WebHome/HomePatrol_OM_V2.pdf

Also, be sure you have the latest version of Home Patrol Sentinel... Version 2.03 (revision 02).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds