First Time User
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Time User

Re: First Time User 17 Mar 2016 13:45 #16556

• Trucker_Tom
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm running a Hp1, Firmware version 2.05, database version version 3/13/2016, Sentinel version 2.03.
I'm trying to listen to the NCSP Troop F Dist 2 in Ashe county, NC. They are on the VIPER system
I have Troop F in a favorites list and monitor my to closest towers sites Jefferson mtn and Phoenix mtn.
A lot of the time I can here the car and not the base respond, and other times vice versa.
What could be causing this, am i doing something wrong?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Re: First Time User 19 Mar 2016 00:38 #16560

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
If your database is updated in Sentinel, make sure you save those changes in database to the radio.
Make sure that you have all service groups keyed into the radio for Law enforcement. There are
about 3-4 groups I had to key in the first time. That should cure the problem. Accurately using
Sentinel is only half of the problem. Saving to the radio is the other. DUKE, WB9OJD

P.S. If that doesn't do it, then antenna is the problem too. A good outside antenna to capture more signal,
particularly in 800 Mhz frequencies is very necessary.
Last Edit: 19 Mar 2016 00:40 by Duke. Reason: add p.s.

Re: First Time User 20 Mar 2016 13:39 #16562

• Trucker_Tom
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Everything is up to date. I'm currently using this antenna centerfireantenna.com/antenna-menu/vhf-hiuhf-multi-band/ and maybe it's not up to par. Maybe I would be better off with some type of discone.

Re: First Time User 24 Mar 2016 23:08 #16564

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
Depends on frequency range you intend on doing most of the listening, really.
I built an outside 1/2 wave dipole using #12 electrical wire, some PCV parts and a length of coax.
Trim 2 legs of 1/2 dipole to frequency for each band you intend on monitoring. I made one for
VHF high, UHF, and 800 mHz. Solder one end of each band to center of SO-239, and placed other
three legs to the ground side. then place standard PL259 with coax attached to SO-239, and housed
entire antenna in PCS pipe 1-1 1/2 inches thick. I made vertical dispole on 3 bands, with PVC
leg 90 degrees from antenna, turning PCV attached to 12" downward pipe connecting to 90 degree
piece from antenna. That piece can be 12" also. Use PCV L-corner piece to make the turn.
Place PCV end caps on both ends of antenna, drilling hole in bottom one (grounded leg) for condensation
release. Place end cap on 12" downward pipe (which is U-bolted to mast or other attachment).
Drill hole in bottom cap to exit coax. Coax should be long enough to get back to the radio.
I ran this antenna for 15 years, and I was surprised at the amount of signals I picked up.
If you want one JUST on 800 mHz, it can be made significantly smaller, using 1/2 wave dipole dimensions for
800 Mhz. Probably could stick into 1" PCV, too. Use low loss coax (@800 Mhz) and keep it as short as you can.
Long coax lengths attenuate
800 Mhz. DUKE, WB9OJD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds