HP1 or HP2 in your car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: HP1 or HP2 in your car

HP1 or HP2 in your car 21 May 2015 03:01 #15315

• KB6KGX
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
How many are using the HP1 or HP2 in the car? Interested in your experience, good or bad, and how you’re using it:

Internal speaker or external speaker (and, if so, which one?)
External antenna, if any
Can you hear the HP with the AC on, the music playing and/or with the windows rolled down?
What can the 536 do that the HP can’t? Other than the WiFi/Siren app, that is.

And, lastly, any regrets on getting the HP1/2 as opposed to forking over some more bucks and going for the 536?

Re: HP1 or HP2 in your car 29 May 2015 14:24 #15339

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Very difficult to see color screen depending on angle of sunlight entering car.
Use 2 pre-amplified computer speakers that use their own batteries.
Spectrum magnet mount antenna.
Depends on your car as far as road noise, windows open? have stereo on low.

Re: HP1 or HP2 in your car 04 Jun 2015 04:36 #15376

• tonya
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I agree with Radar as far as the sunlight display issue. However this is the easiest scanner to use mobile that I have ever owned. I use a SpectrumForce wide band mag mount antenna that I got from ScannerMaster. About 20 bucks. Most of the time I just leave it in the trunk and it works good enough for me.

Re: HP1 or HP2 in your car 27 Jun 2015 22:49 #15442

• Duke
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WB9OJD w/ KA9UPI (deceased-my HP named for him)
I have had my HP since 2010, about when they came out. Having been 40 plus years as a ham radio operator, I've learned to engineer myself out of problems such as you discuss here. I have beginning sensitivity to sunlight due to beginning eye problems from old age, and sun-blasted screen on the HP on my dash has been a problem. Consequently, I went to a hobby store, and picked up some light gauge aluminum (2 sheets, 4 x 10 inches) and courtesy of my local Walmart, some 3/4 inch self stick velcro that I could cut to fit exactly I have attempted to load pictures of the project here. Some of you might find this as a solution to glare on your dash. It sure helps me.
I cut approximately 3 inch wide piece, giving the side about 2 1/2 inches down, and center 3 inches across. I then cut about a 1/2 inch
flange, notching it for easy bending. I bent the flanges in place first, and the center one slightly angled back towards the radio for an easy fit.
Then I filed the edges to prevent being cut while using, rounding off the bottom two. I cut 1/4 inch pieces of Velcro, cut to length of the sides of the screen. Soft Velcro material when on the radio, the hard fastener Velcro went on the shroud. You can paint it to suit by leaving it off the radio, dry, and then attaching to the front of the radio. This should make mobile operation more enjoyable on sunny days.

This is my second attempt at this project. I tried it a couple of years ago, but over-engineered it, trying to cover the entire front of the radio, instead of just the screen. This is simplier to build, and more effective.

73's DUKE, WB9OJD
Attachments:
Last Edit: 04 Jul 2015 14:02 by Duke. Reason: spelling

Re: HP1 or HP2 in your car 27 Jun 2015 22:58 #15443

• RADAR
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Yes the screen washes out. I used a windshield mount that plants the HP-2 to the windshield (heavy duty) and also use that Spectrum Magnet antenna which works great. From what I have done If you use the 436 in car there is a very very high chance of getting into a collision and you cannot see screen on 436 as print is too small and controls are not placed in right position so if you pick up scanner wrong it will stop scanning by accidentally engaging wrong lever or button.
HP-2 is much more user friendly for this.
Now I use the HP-2 primarily as a base station and it's GREAT.
The only other base station I would consider is that new Whistler 1095 but it is too new to know anything about it. Maybe try out the Whistler 1080 handheld for the car.

Re: HP1 or HP2 in your car 06 Aug 2015 15:35 #15546

I use the HP-2 drilled to my dash using the Ram windshield mound (just didnt use the suction cup part). I have a LARSEN 150/450/800 tri-band antenna mounted on a Diamond K400 trunk lip mount. I use a RG-223 cable with a right angle connector to make up the difference from my truck to my dash. I also bought an extension cable for the GPS antenna so the antenna is also mounted on my trunk. I have the usb cable hard wired to a cigarette lighter so when i turn on the ignition it starts charging. But what i've been trying to figure out is if there is some way I can get the HP-2 to automatically power on when the power is applied? Other than that the only real issues it has is the screen fades out in the bright sun, i can still see it, just faded a little. Also being on the dash it does get really hot, but so far the only issue is it will not charge when its hot like that, but it still operates no problems at all.
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds