"Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle

"Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle 14 Feb 2012 15:48 #8996

• engine12
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Is it possible to "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle or do we need to use the cig adapter ? Thanks

Re: "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle 14 Feb 2012 19:03 #8998

• LEP
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Is it possible? Sure, is it a Good idea? Probably not. Look at the AC adapter, it is NOT 12 v output as you find with some scanners, it is a 9 V output.

Re: "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle 15 Feb 2012 05:20 #9006

• bradsarno
  • ( Visitor )
Searching for an Hard wire kit resource from long while. Any input w'd be appreciated.

Re: "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle 15 Feb 2012 12:18 #9007

• mikeoxlong
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Not the prettiest way to do it but you could buy one of those lighter plug sockets, wire it into your van and place it behind the dash and then plug the lighter plug into it,

The plug would still provide your 5vdc and be hidden behind the dash.

You could then lengthen the cord from the plug to the scanner.

Re: "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle 03 May 2012 11:52 #9465

• engine12
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
That's about the only way to do it Mike. I emailed Uniden and they said not to hard wire it......

Re: "Hard Wire" the HP in a vehicle 04 May 2012 10:36 #9466

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
I'm looking to do something similar as my car's existing 12V socket is powered only when the car is turned on; I want the scanner to get external power all the time it's in the car. My plan is to buy an extra 12V socket with bare wire leads, run it from the battery (or perhaps the fuse block if I can find an always-live point, but that may not exist in my car), and tuck it away somewhere near where the scanner is mounted.

I have looked and found suitable aftermarket sockets on both Canadian Tire and Princess Auto's websites - I would imagine Americans looking to do the same thing would find them at Pep Boys or Autozone.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds