Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 26 Feb 2012 04:37 #9095

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Me neither. If I want to waste my time testing my radios and reporting on the same, and then I receive additional instructions for more testing, whose business is that? I might get tired, or the questioner might get tired, but isn't that our business?
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably 27 Feb 2012 02:09 #9098

• wouffhong
  • ( Visitor )
I guess I stirred up quite a "storm" bringing this up initially, but glad to see it has "precipitated" a potential "clearing" of the problem I noted around here.

my urgent wish, however, is that it be addressed and "spout" an interim update before the late March-early April Tornado peak here in these fah Nawth Jawjuh Mountains!:-)

Da Wouff (Born in MA obviously..) .... ..

Re: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably 27 Feb 2012 02:33 #9099

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
wouffhong wrote:
I guess I stirred up quite a "storm" bringing this up initially, but glad to see it has "precipitated" a potential "clearing" of the problem I noted around here.

my urgent wish, however, is that it be addressed and "spout" an interim update before the late March-early April Tornado peak here in these fah Nawth Jawjuh Mountains!:-)

Da Wouff (Born in MA obviously..) .... ..

I'm waiting for Wednesday 10:00 AM - Noon, I'll have a Weather radio set along side the HP1 ...
Wouff: I'm thinking if I establish what I think is happening with the "battery warning" screen, I'll set up a separate thread - I kind of feel I hijacked your OP with a somewhat different issue......

Re: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably 27 Feb 2012 06:42 #9100

• Jay911
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
For what it's worth, the bit about the 'battery power' message is not limited to the weather standby mode. When I have the unit in the car and shut off the car (killing power to the 12V sockets), once the battery gets to its warning level, I get the 'battery level is low, recording disabled, etc' warning. Re-applying power to the 12V sockets will not make that screen go away, though "behind" it you can see that the scanner is either charging or receiving DC power per the battery icon. You have to physically dismiss that screen before the radio will resume operation.

Re: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably 27 Feb 2012 14:28 #9101

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Jay911 wrote:
For what it's worth, the bit about the 'battery power' message is not limited to the weather standby mode. When I have the unit in the car and shut off the car (killing power to the 12V sockets), once the battery gets to its warning level, I get the 'battery level is low, recording disabled, etc' warning. Re-applying power to the 12V sockets will not make that screen go away, though "behind" it you can see that the scanner is either charging or receiving DC power per the battery icon. You have to physically dismiss that screen before the radio will resume operation.

Jay - if the radio is on, are you sure you are getting the "Battery Power" warning or is it the "Battery Charge" question ? If I've got batteries in the HP1 and it's turned on, loss of external power won't result in any message at all until the batteries are low enough to generate the "Battery Power" warning.
If we're all on the same firmware, it should act the same for all of us, and yet Wouff is getting something different regarding the standby WX frequency change..

Re: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably 08 May 2012 00:28 #9492

• jziggity
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry to resurrect this, but here's a possible workaround:

There appears to be 2 methods to weather monitoring, one is the one discussed in this thread where the power button is used to select from the three options of "Clock" "WX Alert" and "All Off". This definitely DOES present the issue discussed, as everyone knows.

When I use the other method, going into the menu, selecting "Weather Mode" and then selecting Weather Alert Standby, the scanner brings up a full featured Weather Alert screen. From here, no matter how many times I remove and reapply power, nothing changes and no warnings pop up. I've tried short intervals and longer ones, but it doesn't appear to have any effect on the scanner at all.

I would think this 2nd method would be preferable to negate the issue that started this thread, unless anyone else can find a drawback to it. The only difference with using the 2nd method that I found was that the screen never completely blanks (it does dim), which I guess could be a bigger draw on the battery. But hopefully any power outage wouldn't completely drain the HP-1. And as another bonus, the scanner will immediately resume scanning from this 2nd mode without any power on delay, if you so wish.
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds