Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Cnnot use for WX Alerts reliably

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 19:35 #9085

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Ohio-user wrote:
FWIW - I'm not going to test. IMHO WX standby is a useless function.

If there IS a WX condition I'm going to have the scanner running, not have it in WX mode.

Dedicated high quality WX radio on 24/7.

Gosh, you must get tired after a while - I usually try to sleep at night and leave the weather radio on Alert to wake me up if there's a warning of some kind. Kind of thought that was the purpose of the WX standby... BTW - the test wasn't mandatory, just wanted to see if others were getting the same results :)

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 19:58 #9086

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
OCO wrote:
Ohio-user wrote:

If there IS a WX condition I'm going to have the scanner running, not have it in WX mode.

Gosh, you must get tired after a while - I usually try to sleep at night and leave the weather radio on Alert to wake me up if there's a warning of some kind. Kind of thought that was the purpose of the WX standby... BTW - the test wasn't mandatory, just wanted to see if others were getting the same results :)

Not at all - I have a WX radio on 24/7 as stated above. It has many more options than the HP-1 has. I don't need to be woke for all the alerts that do go out, I'm able to select what ones will activate. If important, I'll turn on the bedside 396 or get up and join or activate the Skywarn net.

For me - WX alert on the HP-1 is an unused feature. Does it even have SAME selection?

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 21:02 #9089

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Ohio-user wrote:
OCO wrote:
Ohio-user wrote:

Not at all - I have a WX radio on 24/7 as stated above. It has many more options than the HP-1 has. I don't need to be woke for all the alerts that do go out, I'm able to select what ones will activate. If important, I'll turn on the bedside 396 or get up and join or activate the Skywarn net.

For me - WX alert on the HP-1 is an unused feature. Does it even have SAME selection?

Yes... you might want to read the manual. (page 21) .. It does SAME codes (you can set them up in Sentinel also) and it also records the alerts for replay plus displaying them on the screen... If it's better than the HP1, I guess your weather radio does that also??

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 21:26 #9090

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder

Rob - I should have said normal standby operation, which you are getting by tapping the screen..which is gonna be tough to do when you're sleeping. Did the frequency stay at what you had set it? My focus (And Wouff's, I'm sure) is on the WX standby mode becoming inoperable when you're not sitting right at the scanner. I have not been able to duplicate the frequency change issue that he has, but the "less than three second" power outage still hangs mine in the "battery operation warning" screen... I guess I'll have to wait until Wednesday for the next NOAA test to see what happens with it on the battery warning screen...[/quote]

From before:

A: Does the scanner now just sit in the "battery warning" screen, even though the power has been restored?

HP-1 (E) = YES
HP-1 = YES

From above:

"tapping the screen..which is gonna be tough to do when you're sleeping."

Yes, but after tapping, still the same freq's.
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 25 Feb 2012 22:54 #9093

• Ohio-user
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
OCO wrote:
Ohio-user wrote:
OCO wrote:
Ohio-user wrote:

Yes... you might want to read the manual. (page 21) .. It does SAME codes (you can set them up in Sentinel also) and it also records the alerts for replay plus displaying them on the screen... If it's better than the HP1, I guess your weather radio does that also??

Nope - but why replay? NWS keeps re-playing them as long as active. I also receive via SMS and email.

Plus - my HP is in the main room and I could not hear it where I sleep anyway.
I don't believe it does multiple SAME codes anyway.

Re: Cannot use for WX Alerts reliably...more issue 26 Feb 2012 00:41 #9094

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
It amazes me when someone will spend big bucks on something and then not bother to learn what it's capable of.....
Your HP1 will do SAME codes, it will do Multiple SAME codes... You didn't want to help test whether there's an issue with WX standby - I'm not sure why you keep posting to this thread..
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds