I would like to see the following added or fixed:
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: I would like to see the following added or fixed:

I would like to see the following added or fixed: 28 Dec 2010 11:55 #4107

• Philke3fl
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
1. Fix the charging system and/or power usage indicator. Either fix the charger to check for full charge so it can turn off the charger BEFORE destroying the batteries &/or radio, or make the usage indicator show in 10% blocks so we know when to fully charge the batteries. IMHO the lack of a battery charging level checking circuit in a $500 radio is simply unconscionable, I expected much better from Uniden.

2. The lack of a way to hand-enter add your own, "Talk Group" which is in every radio since time began (well, almost) is a sore point with me. Then on top of that to have it also missing from the supplied software so that after paying $500 for a radio you have to go elsewhere to get to the full features of the radio, again shows a complete lack of understanding on Uniden's part of the people who will be using the radio, at least at first.

3. Add in all the Missing local Amateur Radio Repeater Frequencies!?! What were you thinking Uniden? If they're in the ARRL (and other) repeater books they are fair game to listen to. If you thought it "best" you could divide them up into EComm and non-EComm but they should be there none the less. Not having them makes allot of work for your normal customers. Now we have to do the work to add the repeater frequencies wherever we go, which means a laborious three-step procedure; I. We have to have access to a repeater directory, II. We have to have a computer, III. We have to have the ARC software. Again, what were you thinking? All of this is fine for those few frequencies we know of but which for some reason have never made it into the database, and why is that?, but it is NOT OK for publicly published frequencies. Did you think, incorrectly, that we the users did not want to listen to these frequencies? Helloooo, knock, knock, many of us ARE HAMs here, we are some of the first to use your radio, why would we NOT want the ability to listen to the local goings on? On top of that I'll even bet that a large percentage of non Hams who enjoy scanning enjoy listening to the local repeaters.

4. Add in the missing "common" use frequencies for simple things like the frequencies various companies use for internal communications. All the newer scanners I've bought have at least two common frequency banks, with odd things like the McDonnald's order window frequency, what was that frequency anyway? But, to some extent I like listening to those from time to time. you can't possibly know when these common business frequencies will be used and where so having a generic "Service Type" that holds them all and uses them with NO-LOCATION-DETERMINATION, or uses them no matter where you are, would be nice. Again, either I take a second scanner along, do without, or go through the laborious three-step procedure to add my own "Service Type." What a pain! I expected a one scanner does it all, that's what you promised wasn't it?

5. Add in the basic citizen band frequencies, CB, FRS, GMRS, BLUE DOT, RED DOT, etc. You know what they are, they should be in their own "Service Type" and again this type is location independent.

And, I'll probably think of more features, limitations, failings as I use it more. But the above five are the BIG ones for me right now.

73 de
Phil KE3FL / KPC3FL

Re:I would like to see the following added or fixed: 28 Dec 2010 12:15 #4109

• UPMan
  • ( Admin )
  • Administrator
1. previous detailed reply.

3/4/5. We continue to discuss with RadioReference the best way to accomplish this, but much higher priority is (appropriately) being placed on cleaning up the public safety information (adding location information, adding service types, fixing descriptions, etc). This is on the list.

Re:I would like to see the following added or fixed: 28 Dec 2010 16:49 #4117

• Philke3fl
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
OK one can hope for the best there.

What about 1, & 2? Anything on them? Any ideas even?

1. Probably not something which can be done in firmware upgrades if the display only allows for 100/50/0% & if there is no hardware for it probably not for determining if the battery is fully charged either, what short-sightedness!

2. One can hand-enter a frequency but what about keeping it? Can that be done with a change to firmware? How about service types or "banks"?
Phil KE3FL / KPC3FL
Last Edit: 28 Dec 2010 16:50 by Philke3fl.

Re:I would like to see the following added or fixed: 10 Jan 2011 10:36 #4395

• Docwatson431
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Don't think your are going to to see 1 or 2 anytime soon. For # 2 save your pennies and buy ARC Patrol.

Re:I would like to see the following added or fixed: 10 Jan 2011 11:58 #4396

• Philke3fl
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
For #1 - I know, I think it would require a hardware change & cannot simply be done is SW.

#2 - I already have but they should still fix either the radio firmware or their own memory management software. preferably both.
Phil KE3FL / KPC3FL
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds